Summer garden fresh Cantaloupe Salsa is a twist on the traditional Mexican salsa. This light & fresh salsa is perfect on chips, fish or even burgers!
Every winter I dread preparing for the long, hot Phoenix summers. Winters here are absolutely beautiful – not a sign of snow and temps that will make anyone want to be outdoors all day long. ☀
Once June arrives, it’s almost as if everyone hibernates in their home for the long, hot summer. Spending the summers means lots of splashing in the backyard pool and grilling as much as we can for dinner. After all, the grill is probably the best way to keep the house cool.
My garden melons are looking quite fabulous this year and I’m proud to say that the rabbits haven’t gotten those plants. 🙌
Yet anyways! (Lets keep our fingers crossed!)
They did manage to take out all of my green beans, but for now I’ll rejoice in picking as many melons as I can. After all, who doesn’t love fresh cantaloupe?
With the abundance of cantaloupe comes with new ideas and inspiration – hence Cantaloupe Salsa. 😘
Healthy Cantaloupe Salsa
This healthy cantaloupe salsa is a twist on the traditional Mexican salsa. Combine simple ingredients like finely diced cantaloupe, garden tomatoes, cilantro, serrano peppers, cucumber, and red onion with the juice of a few fresh limes and a splash of olive oil. Oh – and seasonings too!
Delicious! The best thing about this salsa is that everything can come from your own garden.
Pull out the chips, and get ready to enjoy some company. Or, serve this salsa on top of your favorite burger or fish. The possibilities are endless!
This salsa can be made the day prior and refrigerated as well. The advance prep will give the flavors a little extra time to blend together.
Go a step further, and sprinkle on a little Tajin (or, chile powder) if you want some added heat. You can find Tajin at the Mexican market – as well as most traditional grocers in the produce aisle.
Did you make this recipe?
If you did, please leave a comment and rate the recipe – I’d love to know how it turned out!
Here are more simple, healthy summer recipes:
Have too many cantaloupes? If you do, learn how to dehydrate them to make cantaloupe fruit chips/leather!
Healthy Cantaloupe Salsa
- 4 C cantaloupe cut in small chunks
- 2 ea roma tomatoes finely diced
- 1/2 ea red onion finely diced
- 1 ea cucumber finely diced
- 1/2 bunch cilantro finely chopped
- 2 ea jalapeno peppers finely diced
- 1/4 C lime juice or juice of 2 large limes
- 1 Tbsp olive oil or to taste
- 1/8 tsp salt to taste
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper to taste
- Mix all ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Toss with olive oil (enough to moisten the salsa), and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour or until chilled. Serve with chips or atop your favorite dish.
- Optional: Sprinkle the salsa with Tajin seasoning before serving (can be found in your Latin market).
- Serrano peppers can be substituted for jalapeño peppers.
Looking for more summer recipes? You might want to try these, too!