This delectable Potato Spinach Balls Appetizer is super simple to throw together with healthy ingredients that everyone will love!
These potato spinach balls may have been one of those recipes that was not completely intended. I didn’t go into this telling myself I was going to make Potato Spinach balls.
In fact… I started boiling potatoes so I could make potato patties. That is, until I realized I had a bag of spinach to use in the fridge.
And as amazing as it is, spinach is one of those things that can get really yucky, really quickly. Especially if you forget to use it. The bag may look amazing, but once you reach in, you discover that half the bag is really not as amazing as you thought.
Before you know it, half the gallon bag is in the compost pile.
My spinach really wasn’t quite that slimy, but it would have been if I hadn’t of remembered I had it in there.
Potato Spinach Balls Appetizer
While potato patties were in the plan, spinach wasn’t – so after a quick google search, I came across this recipe for Potato Spinach Balls on Indestructibles.
I’m so glad I made them.
They were eaten faster than I could have ever imagined.
They are crunchy on the outside, and creamy on the inside. Dip them in a little steak sauce and WOW – where have these been all my life???!! This is like, the perfect appetizer! So perfect I could have inhaled the entire pan myself.
Which isn’t all that bad really because they are completely amazing for you. Spinach, potatoes, breadcrumbs… perhaps a little seasoning. What isn’t to love??!
This just proves that appetizers don’t always have to be dunked in super hot barbecue sauce, fried in tons of oil or super high in sugar. There are better choices as long as you are willing to embrace them. And that is just what we did.
Start by boiling the potatoes just until tender. Drain them really well and roughly mash before adding the sautéed spinach and garlic, along with the salt and seasonings. Form the mixture into small round balls, and roll in breadcrumbs. You can use Panko or make your own.
Bake them up for 20-25 minutes at 400 degrees F, and serve them up with a little sauce. We LOVE steak sauce, but you can use ranch or even a combo of mayo and Sriracha – yum!
I certainly hope you love these little Potato Spinach Balls as much as we do – they are delectable!
Potato and Spinach Balls
- 3 large Russet potatoes or 5 medium Yukon Golds, peeled and quartered
- 3 C. fresh spinach
- 2 Tbsp veggie or chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp salt or more to taste
- 2 cloves garlic finely minced
- 1 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 C. breadcrumbs use Panko or, make your own
- Add the peeled and quartered potatoes to a large pot and fill with water, enough to cover. Boil just until soft. Drain and set aside in the same pot.
- In a medium skillet, combine the garlic, spinach, vinegar and broth and saute the spinach until wilted,
- Roughly mash the potatoes with a potato masher - add in the spinach and the Italian seasoning, salt and nutritional yeast and stir to combine.
- Form the mixture into small balls and roll them in the breadcrumbs, Smaller size balls are more crispier and cook better. Place those balls on a lined cookie sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes at 400 degrees F.
- Remove and serve with steak sauce or your choice of condiment.
Leave a Reply