This Spicy pickled pineapple is a combination of sweet pineapple and spicy jalapeño ~ a wonderful topping for a sandwich or perfect snack time treat.
With the summer garden in full swing, pickling pineapple probably isn’t the first thing you think of. Right? When you think of pickling anything, cucumbers are probably the first thing to come to mind.
In reality, many things can be pickled. From cucumbers to corn, to radishes… even eggs. I’ve heard of pickling avocados too.. but i’ll be honest and tell you that I haven’t made it quite that far.
Pineapple though – it’s delicious when pickled. And when you combine the pickling process with the spice of the added jalapeños you truly have heaven! Spicy pickled pineapple is perhaps one of the things all of my kids can agree upon.
They all love it just as much as the next, and a simple pint jar doesn’t last more than a day.
If you can get your hands on a delicious pineapple, consider using it to make this spicy pickled pineapple. It’s relatively easy to toss together.
Give the flavors 24 hours to meld together and you’ll have a refreshing spicy (yet sweet) treat for a relatively hot summer.
Because here in Arizona, we’re all about finding balance in the midst of the summer heat.
Spicy Pickled Pineapple
Pineapple is indeed one of my favorite items to pickle. It’s a cross between sweet and spicy with the perfect jolt in flavor.
Enjoy as is… or even better, add it to your favorite barbecue pork sandwich, hamburger straight off the grill or use it to accompany it to your favorite homemade cheese.
While fresh lime juice is the perfect accompaniment to vinegar, you can instead make this substitution:
- regular white vinegar
- 1/8 C. fresh squeezed lemon juice
- or even orange juice
This recipe makes three wide mouth ball canning jars.
Spicy Pickled Pineapple
- 1 ea pineapple sliced thin
- 3 C vinegar
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1/8 C lime juice
- 1/2 tsp mustard seed whole
- 1/4 tsp peppercorns
- 1/2 Tbsp kosher salt
- 1/4 C cilantro finely chopped
- 1 ea jalapeño seeds removed and cut into small rings
- Place the vinegar, sugar, lime juice, mustard seed, peppercorns and kosher salt into a small saucepan and bring to a simmer. Stir until sugar dissolves. Allow the mixture to cool to room temperature.
- Slice the pineapple in thin rings. Add to your wide mouth canning jar with the cilantro.
- Pour the vinegar mixture over the top of each jar, allow 1/2 inch headspace. The vinegar should barely cover each jar, if not, top with a bit of water.
- Place the lid and ring on each wide mouth jar. Refrigerate for 12-24 hours before enjoying.
- This recipe makes just under 3 pints (6 C.) of Spicy Pickled Pineapple.
Looking for more things to pickle? you might want to try these favorites: