It’s fall, y’all.. and that means everything pumpkin. Many of my friends go wild and crazy for pumpkin in every way possible.. I’m just happy with pumpkin in a bowl of soup.
Plus, who doesn’t love a good bowl of hearty soup?
Last December we invested in an Instant Pot and our kitchen lives changed completely. I never thought I could fall in love with an appliance as much as I have this.. truly amazing.
The Instant Pot makes cooking so much fun – and really does make soup like this so much more achievable than doing it in a Dutch Oven. I promise.
So pull out that can of pumpkin – you will fall head over heels for this soup because it’s absolutely to die for.
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, quartered
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 C. red potatoes, diced (about 3 medium size)
- 2 C. granny smith apple, peeled and diced (about 2 large)
- 1 chipotle pepper in sauce, seed the pepper
- 1 Tbsp of the chipotle pepper sauce from the can
- 15 oz can organic pumpkin puree
- 1/4 C. uncooked red lentils
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg (or, 2 drops Nutmeg Essential Oil - we use Young Living)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 C. vegetable broth
- 2 C. water
- Optional: fresh thyme sprigs, for garnish
- Using the saute feature on the Instant Pot, saute the onion and garlic 3-4 minutes.
- Add the cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, black pepper, chipotle and pepper sauce - stir well.
- Add the red potatoes, apples, pumpkin puree, red lentils, vegetable broth and water.
- Top with the Instant Pot lid and close the valve. Set the pot to 5 minutes on high (manual).
- Once cooking is complete, let the pot naturally release for 10 minutes. Then release the pressure yourself.
- Carefully open up the lid - use an immersion blender to blend until smooth. If you are without an immersion blender, carefully transfer to a regular blender (be careful though because it's hot and hot soup expands).
- Blend until completely smooth - serve warm with a sprig of thyme.
- This soup is wonderful with a side of salad and a nice thick chunk of toasty bread.
See more of our favorite Instant Pot Recipes – including Bone Broth, Mahi Mahi, Corn on the Cob, Soups & more.