Pumpkin Chipotle Soup: a delicious blend of pumpkin, apples and potatoes taken up a notch with the spicy addition of chipotle peppers in a soup that’s to die for!
It’s [almost] fall, y’all.. and that means everything pumpkin. SO many people go wild and crazy for pumpkin in every way possible.. I’m just happy with pumpkin in a bowl of soup.
Besides, who doesn’t love a good bowl of hearty soup?
This pumpkin chipotle soup combines a whirlwind of ingredients to formulate a soup that’s perfect served next to a fresh loaf of crusty bread for an easy dinner soup idea.
While I used my pressure cooker to make this soup, you certainly could make this soup on the stovetop or in a crock pot. If making on the stove top, simply bring the ingredients to a boil after the initial sauté, and then turn down to a simmer for 10-15 minutes.
Then, use your immersion blender to smooth the soup out prior to serving.
Pumpkin Chipotle Soup
This soup combines a variety of ingredients:
- one chipotle pepper + additional chipotle sauce (use the canned chipotles to make things easier!)
- canned pumpkin puree
- an apple
- potatoes (I prefer using red potatoes for this soup!)
- red lentils
- spices and vegetable broth
The Instant Pot makes cooking so much fun – and really does make soup like this so much more achievable than doing it in a Dutch Oven. I promise.
So pull out that can of pumpkin – you will fall head over heels for this soup because it’s absolutely to die for.
Check out these other fun ways to get in the fall spirit:
- Pumpkin Spice Coffee Creamer
- Pumpkin Cornbread Muffins
- Pineapple Pumpkin Bread
- Pumpkin Spice Candied Walnuts
- Pumpkin Gingerbread
- Pumpkin Spice Latte
- Homemade Pumpkin Granola
- Gluten-Free Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Gluten-Free Pumpkin Donuts
- Instant Pot Pumpkin Puree (SO EASY!)
- Pumpkin Breakfast Pops
If you try this recipe and love it, make sure to rate the recipe to let me know how it turned out!
Pumpkin Chipotle Soup
- Pressure Cooker or Instant Pot
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion quartered
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 C red potatoes diced (about 3 medium size)
- 2 C granny smith apple peeled and diced (about 2 large)
- 1 chipotle pepper in sauce seeds and stem removed
- 1 Tbsp of the chipotle pepper sauce from the can
- 15 oz pumpkin puree 1 can
- 1/4 C uncooked red lentils
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 C vegetable broth
- 2 C water
- fresh thyme sprigs for garnish
- Using the saute feature on the Instant Pot, saute the onion and garlic 3-4 minutes.
- Add the cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, black pepper, chipotle and pepper sauce - stir well.
- Add the red potatoes, apples, pumpkin puree, red lentils, vegetable broth and water.
- Top with the Instant Pot lid and close the valve. Set the pot to 5 minutes on high (manual).
- Once cooking is complete, let the pot naturally release for 10 minutes. Then release the pressure yourself.
- Carefully open up the lid - use an immersion blender to blend until smooth. If you are without an immersion blender, carefully transfer to a regular blender (be careful though because it's hot and hot soup expands).
- Blend until completely smooth - serve warm with a sprig of thyme.
See more of my favorite Instant Pot Recipes – including Bone Broth, Mahi Mahi, Corn on the Cob, Soups & more.