Deliciously spiced Pumpkin Gingerbread that combines pumpkin with the holiday flavors of molasses in a bread that’s best served with butter!
One of my favorite things about the holiday season isn’t the gifts.. and it’s definitely not the Christmas music. It’s the opportunity to make this delicious Pumpkin Gingerbread and eat it with a big smear of butter.
Isn’t everything better with butter?
As a young kid, I have memories of eating zucchini bread at family reunions, and also at church dinners. Fast forward, I’m now in my 40’s and I love pumpkin bread. One caveat though — I love my pumpkin bread mixed with molasses.
In other words, I love pumpkin gingerbread.
If you haven’t ever had pumpkin gingerbread, it’s a combo of two of the best breads out there. Dark brown sugar wrapped up with all of the best holiday spices give pumpkin bread it’s special flavor.
But when you combine pumpkin puree with molasses and bake it up in the oven, it turns into pumpkin gingerbread. And that is, by far, the best bread you’ll ever have. I promise!
This delicious pumpkin gingerbread starts with a base of melted butter, whipped with brown sugar, eggs, water, pumpkin puree and unsulphured molasses.
You can use canned pumpkin puree from the market or, if you are able, make your own (see my quick tutorial here). Once you’ve mixed the wet ingredients, add the dry ingredients and mix just until combined.
Generously grease a 9x5x3 loaf pan and fill with your batter. Bake in a preheated oven for 55-60 minutes – or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Allow the loaf to cool before slicing. This pumpkin gingerbread is best served buttered (butter makes everything better!)
More bread recipes you might want to try:
- Sourdough Irish Soda Bread
- Maple Cinnamon Sweet Potato Bread
- English Muffin Bread
- Chocolate Zucchini Bread
Did you make this pumpkin gingerbread? If you did, please take a minute to rate the recipe and leave a comment to let me know how it turned out!
- 1/2 C butter melted
- 1/2 C brown sugar light or dark
- 2 eggs
- 1 C pumpkin puree canned or homemade
- 1/2 C unsulphured molasses
- 3 Tbsp water
- 1.5 C all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp ground clove
- lPreheat the oven to 350 degrees. Generously grease or spray a 9x5x3 loaf pan to prevent the bread from sticking.
- Mix the butter, sugar, eggs, pumpkin puree, and molasses with your mixer until well blended and creamed together.
- Add the dry ingredients and stir just until combined, taking care not to over mix.
- Pour into your loaf pan. Bake for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool before removing from the loaf pan. Keep bread tightly covered when not being served.
- Bread can keep for up to 3 days at room temperature. Or, refrigerate for up to 5 days.