These sweet and spicy pickled radishes play an unusual twist to typical radishes. They are easy to make and perfect on tacos!
Tacos are everything here in our family.
Forget Taco Tuesday, my kids could have tacos every day of the week. Tacos with beans, tacos with fish, cauliflower and even tacos with potatoes. They are easy to make and a kid favorite no matter what I hide inside.
I always have a bunch of radishes too – they are easy to grow, and oddly enough, our girls like to eat them as they are – just like an apple. A small apple. Next time you find yourself with a bunch of radishes to use up quickly, these pickled radishes are the way to go.
They are the perfect mix of spicy, sweet and pickled and are perfect for tacos and sandwiches. Or eat as they are – straight from the jar.
Sweet & Spicy Pickled Radishes
Start by slicing a pound of radishes thin, and tossing in a bowl with chopped cilantro and a half jalapeño. The radishes get their kick from the diced jalapeño ~ so if you love things a little extra spicy, toss in more of the pepper.
Heat up your vinegar, sugar and salt on the stove top – stir until dissolved, and bring to a low boil. Turn off the heat and allow to cool (the fridge is wonderful for making this happen quickly!) Stuff your radishes, cilantro and jalapeño in a wide-mouth quart canning jar, packing tightly.
Sprinkle with pepper flakes and mustard seeds, and pour the cooled vinegar over. If you are short on liquid, top off with vinegar and a pinch of salt.
Allow the flavors to do their thing for 24 hours before throwing them in the refrigerator.
Since there is no formal canning process to make these shelf stable, it’s important to refrigerate them and use them within 7-10 days.
Sweet and Spicy Pickled Radishes
- 1 lb radishes sliced thin
- 1/4 C. cilantro chopped
- 1 ea. jalapeno stem removed, finely diced
- 1 C. distilled white vinegar or more as needed
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 2 Tbsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. red pepper flakes optional
- 1 Tbsp mustard seed
- Wash and dry the radishes - slice thin and add to a large bowl along with the chopped cilantro and jalapeño - set aside.
- In a small saucepan, combine the vinegar with the sugar and salt and stir until dissolved. Bring to a low boil on the stove, then turn off and allow to cool completely (you can also toss in the fridge if you are in a hurry).
- Grab a wide-mouth quart canning jar and pack it to the top with the radish/cilantro/jalapeño mixture. Pack tightly. Sprinkle the red pepper flakes and mustard seed on the top of the packed radishes.
- Pour the cooled vinegar mixture over the top of the mixture in the jar, if needed, top off with additional vinegar and a pinch of salt.
- Place the lid and ring tightly on the jar and allow to sit at room temperature for 24 hours before placing in the refrigerator.
- Consume within 7-10 days.
Looking for more unique ways to use an abundance of radishes from the garden? Try this delicious veggie salt or yummy radish relish!