An absolutely delicious recipe for homemade cottage cheese that’s simple to make at home with just three ordinary ingredients.
I started making homemade cottage cheese a few years ago – at the time, it was a quick and easy way to use a gallon of raw milk.
Eventually after multiple batches it became almost second nature – if we needed cottage cheese, we just threw it together at home. After all, it is simple and easy.
If you’ve ever read the ingredient list on cottage cheese sold in stores, you might see things like:
Is Raw Milk Required for Making Cottage Cheese?
Homemade Cottage Cheese Is Easy to Make
Don’t Toss the Whey
- Use it in place of water when cooking rice
- Add it to baked goods in place of the liquid
- Use it to make your own cold process soap (freeze it in cubes first!)
- You can also use it as a hair rinse, foot soak, etc.
Homemade Cottage Cheese
Homemade Cottage Cheese
- 1 gallon whole milk not ultra high temperature processed or long life*
- 3/4 C vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 C heavy cream optional
- Pour milk into a heavy bottom stock pot. Heat slowly to 175 degrees F, stir continually so that the milk doesn't scorch the bottom of the pot.
- Remove from the heat. Add the vinegar and stir thoroughly for 10-15 seconds. Cover the post and push aside to rest for 30 minutes.
- Line a colander with a towel or a tightly woven cheesecloth. Place the colander over a large pot or bowl to catch the whey.
- Pour the solids from the pot into the colander. Allow it to drain for at least 30 minutes (or longer if desired).
- Tie up the ends of the cheesecloth very tight and form a tight ball - dip the ball into a clean bowl of cold water. This will help chill the curds quickly and evenly. Squeeze out the excess liquid.
- Turn out the cheese into a large bowl. Use your hands to break into small curds. Stir in the salt, more or less to taste.
- Optional: add heavy cream for an additional level of creaminess. Check the taste - add more salt as needed.
- Refrigerate in a covered container until ready to serve.
- Homemade cottage cheese can be made with raw milk.
- Don't discard the whey: the whey can be used for so many things! Use in it place of water when making rice, as a hair rinse following a shampoo and to make homemade probiotic soda.
- Homemade cottage cheese will keep for up to one week when properly refrigerated.
- Recipe makes 2 C. of cottage cheese, 1/4 C. per serving.
Homemade cottage is cheese is delicious when combined with homemade mayo, chopped red onion and chopped parsley and spread on a toasted baguette. Yum and yum! You can also use it in pasta dishes, or serve with fresh fruit for a light meal.
Have you ever tried making your own cottage cheese?
Did you try this recipe?
I’d love to hear about it! Let me know how it works for you! Please leave a comment, rate the recipe and be sure to tag me on Instagram!