Green Chile Pesto combines the kicked up flavor of green chiles with the deliciousness of rich, creamy pesto for a delicious side that’s perfect on toast, meat or even pasta!
Hatch Green Chiles have been the theme over the last week or two. Every time I step into the market, those beautiful bags of green chiles stare at me right in the face…
It’s almost like they are whispering “buy me… buy me…”
Of course, I must not pass without buying a few bags. Hatch Chiles are by far one of my favorite things to have in the kitchen. Turn a plain recipe into something spectacular by throwing in some green chiles.
Roasted or plain, green chiles are pretty fabulous to have in the kitchen.
Even better than picking up green chiles in the store is traveling out to Hatch, New Mexico for their annual green Chile festival. Every year, Hatch celebrates the green chile over Labor Day weekend. People travel from all over the United States to participate in the weekend celebration.
The smell of roasted green chiles fills the air from miles away, making your stomach churn with hunger for everything green chile.
Green Chile Recipes
While you’re there, grab a few bags of roasted green chiles to haul back with you. Use those green chiles to make everything from:
- Raspberry Green Chile Jam
- Green Chile Peach Jam
- Green Chile Relish
- Sweet Potato & Green Chile Cornbread
- Green Chile Hummus
- Dehydrated Green Chile Powder
And follow me on Pinterest for even more Green Chile recipe ideas.
Green Chile Pesto
This Green Chile pesto combines the rich, creamy taste of pesto with a spicy kick from roasted Hatch Green Chiles. All in all it’s a breeze to make… aside from roasting the chiles, it comes together in mere minutes.
A few notes about this pesto:
- If you’re roasting your own green chiles, follow my DIY (and make sure to wear gloves)
- Feel free to use your choice of walnuts, almonds, pine nuts or whatever you have on hand
- Adjust the salt and pepper to suit your taste
- Use your food processor to chop the walnuts and nuts prior to adding the oil
- Use this pesto on sourdough bread, stir it into pasta or add it as a topping for your chicken or steak
One of the best things about pesto is that it freezes beautifully as well. Separate using ice cube trays then pop in a freezer bag. Or, freeze in ziplock bags and press flat.
Thaw before using and stir into your favorite pasta recipe or serve next to a side of crusty bread.
Green Chile Pesto
- 1 lb roasted Hatch Green Chiles 4-6 chiles, stem and seeds removed
- 1/3 C unsalted almonds
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/3 C feta cheese can sub queso fresco or even cotija cheese
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 C olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- In your food processor, combine the chiles, almonds, garlic, and cheese. Pulse to combine.
- Add the olive oil as the food processor runs. Everything should come together over the next 15-20 seconds as you scrape down the side.
- Add salt and pepper, to taste.
- Store in a sealed container in the refrigerator. Or freeze if desired (just make sure to thaw before serving).
Find 10+ Green Chile recipes to help you put a mountain of green chiles to use!