Fudgy Beet Muffins are rich, chocoloately muffins made with a secret ingredient – pureed beets! These muffins are secretly healthy and full of rich, chocolate flavor!
Who would ever know that you could easily tuck steamed and pureed red beets into muffins that are rich and deliciously fudgy?
The truth is, you definitely can.
Muffins are super popular with kids of all ages. You can whip up mini muffins in a mini muffin pan, or make regular size muffins like these fudgy beet muffins. There is nothing more gratifying than baking a batch of these muffins and watching your kids literally fight for them as they come out of the oven.
Nobody will ever know that you’ve tucked a cup of steamed beets in these muffins – they are just that good!
Fudgy Beet Muffins
Toss these muffins together with basic ingredients to include steamed, pureed beets, butter, eggs, milk, cocoa and flour.
Not only are they easy to make, these muffins are a great base for any other type of puree.
- Instead of beets, try using pureed sweet potatoes, applesauce, bananas, or even pumpkin.
- Opt to substitute oil instead of butter
- Flax eggs can be substituted for regular eggs
- Make them even more fudgy by adding 1/3 – 1/2 C chocolate chips to the batter
Despite “beets” being part of the ingredient list on these muffins, believe it or not, they are really very good.
Not only that, they are super simple to make. The recipe is a great base for any pureed item. But I really really really love having beets in there, simply because I feel like I’m winning one over on my kids.
Who, to this day, still don’t even realize I have packed BEETS in these delicious, fudgy muffins. I’d say that’s pretty darn amazing!
These muffins are:
Who could ask for anything more?
Fudgy Beet Muffins
- 1 C beet puree
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 1/2 C granulated sugar
- 1/3 C brown sugar
- 1/4 C milk
- 1/3 C cocoa powder
- 1 1/3 C all purpose flour
- 1/4 C butter
- 1.5 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line 12 muffins with paper liners and set aside.
- Add beet puree, eggs, sugar and milk and mix until well combined.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients, taking care not to over mix. Batter should be quite thick - it should not be pourable.
- Scoop the batter between the 12 muffin cups. Bake for 5 minutes at 400 degrees F. Reduce the heat to 350 degrees F and bake for an additional 13 minutes. Remove from the oven, and allow to cool in the tin for a few minutes.
- Allow to cool on a cooling rack. Keep in covered container 1-2 days. Muffins can be frozen for longer storage.
Looking for more muffin recipes?
- Irish Oatmeal Muffins
- Double Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
- Sour Cream Banana Muffins
- Pumpkin Cornbread Muffins