Love Love Love! They are SO easy to make — and we always make extra, too. Not only do they work well in recipes … they are super to have to make your own baby food too (if you have an infant around that age!)
You can find Organic Sweet Potatoes at Costco for a little over $1 per pound – such a tremendous bargain!
My kids love biscuits – with butter, or with a little honey. They can eat 2-3 at a time if I let them. These biscuits refrigerate well and are just as good when you heat up on day 2.
These biscuits are SO easy to make. Of course, if you want … you can make Sweet Potato Rolls, too – but they require lots of time. Mixing, rising, punching down, then separating into rolls, then another rise…. a few hours at least.
These? Just 20 minutes – tops!
- 2 C. All Purpose, Organic Unbleached Flour
- 1 Tbsp Baking Powder
- 1 Tbsp Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Baking Soda
- 3/4 C. Buttermilk or Whey
- 1 C. Sweet Potatoes, mashed
- 1/2 C. Butter, frozen
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine the dry ingredients - set aside.
- Mix the Milk and Sweet Potatoes until combined.
- Grate the frozen Butter and then toss with the dry ingredients - cut in well.
- Add the Milk Mixture and mix until you form a soft dough.
- Grab the dough and place on a lightly floured surface - knead it for 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Pat into a circle and use the top of a circular glass (we use a Kerr narrow mouth canning jar) to cut the dough into 10 biscuits.
- The thinner you roll out the circle the thinner the biscuits will be - so if you like thicker biscuits, make sure you pat the dough out somewhat thick.
- Brush the tops with heavy cream.
- Place on the baking sheet and bake 12-15 minutes.