One of the biggest challenges, as a lover of all things Mexican food-ish, is being able to inhale all that amazing food and not get fat.
Oh the flour tortillas, lovely soups, cheese quesadillas, and huge globs of guac atop of fried chicken taquitos – list could go on – I love them all. My husband loves Mexican food just as much as I do – and it doesn’t help the fact that we are a Mexican family so we see this stuff every single day.
Finding an alternative to the really heavy enchiladas covered in cheese though is hard ~ but this might come in VERY close. Cauliflower Enchiladas.
You would never know that a whole head of cauliflower is tucked in this dish – in fact, my kids had no idea.
It was cheesy, rich and… leftovers? Forget about them – there weren’t any to transfer to a container for the next day’s lunch. It was JUST THAT GOOD.
The recipe comes in right up there with regular enchiladas for those who are on a low carb diet – and doesn’t compromise on taste. I promise.
Once you try this casserole you will want to make it again, and again, and again… you could actually even double it, and eat half for dinner, then save the other half for lunch the next day or two. It’s actually just as good the next day as it is the day you pull it from the oven.
You can use any brand of green enchilada sauce – though we make ours in large batches and freeze in canning jars to use as we need.
We also make our own sour cream – but you can also just pick that up from your local store if making your own doesn’t seem that possible 😉
One of the best things about this casserole though is that it is EASY – ingredients are abundant, and you can whip it together in just a matter of minutes before popping in the oven.
In the meantime, cut up some green onions, and prepare some sour cream – or, use your own homemade sour cream for a healthier option.
- 1 head of fresh cauliflower or, 20 oz frozen cauilflower florets (4 C.)
- 4 oz cream cheese , very softened
- 1 C. cooked chicken, shredded
- 1/2 C. green enchilada sauce (salsa verde)
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 C. sour cream
- 1 C. shredded cheddar, separated (1/2 + 1/2)
- Optional: chopped fresh cilantro, chopped green onions & sour cream
- If you are using fresh cauliflower, cut the base and cut the head into small florets. Place in a steamer tray; fill a medium saucepan with a few inches of water, place the steamer basket of cauliflower within the saucepan and steam the cauliflower for 4-5 minutes or until soft.
- While the cauliflower is steaming, combine the cream cheese with the chicken, salsa verde, salt, pepper, 1/2 C. sour cream and 1/2 C. cheese.
- Stir in the drained cauliflower, and pour into a casserole dish.
- Sprinkle remaining 1/2 C. cheese on top evenly.
- Bake at 350 for 20 minutes or until lightly brown.
- Serve hot - top with sour cream, green onions or cilantro for garnish.