This Vegan Walnut Cheese Sauce is made in 5 minutes or less with just 5 simple ingredients – oil and dairy free!
Having a really good cheese dip/sauce is almost essential if you have kids at home. Because, face it — salsa is super amazing, but kids get tired of salsa after a while and it’s always fun to change things up a bit.
As much as I love a good cheese sauce, I love the ability to make one with 5 ingredients or less – including walnuts.
Walnuts? In cheese sauce?
You guessed it! I certainly have been privy to try cashews that have been transformed into sauce/dip in the past and this is no different. Walnuts combine with other very simple ingredients to create a dip/sauce that you can eat with chips, top on tacos, or scoop up with carrots, broccoli or your favorite veggie.
Vegan Walnut Cheese Sauce/Dip
This cheese sauce comes together in mere minutes with just a few simple ingredients:
- walnuts – you’ll want just over a cup
- hot water – this helps to blend the walnuts in the blender or food processor, you may need a smidge extra, too
- garlic powder – adds some flavor
- Nutritional Yeast – Bragg’s is the brand I lean towards, they offer regular or roasted garlic flavored
Can I forego the nutritional yeast?
Nope – you’ll need it! Not only does it add some protein, it helps give the sauce its cheesy flavor. You can typically find it in the market in the baking aisle, or pick up here on Amazon.
Run all your ingredients in your blender for 1-2 minutes until they are smooth, adding more water as necessary. That’s it – you’ve got an interesting (NEW) sauce/dip that’ll be great on chips, veggies or even topped on tacos!
Food processor or blender?
You can use either – I prefer my Vitamin but if you have a food processor you can use that, instead. You’ll want to scrape down the sides occasionally to get the mixture moving. Adjust your water as needed to allow it to come together.
More vegan recipes:
- Homemade Oat Milk (Vegan friendly)
- Easy Potato Curry (Vegetarian and Vegan Friendly)
- Instant Pot Vegan Cauliflower Queso
- Homemade Herb Crackers (Vegan and Gluten-Free)
Did you make this sauce?
If you did, please give the recipe a review and leave a comment – I’d love to know how it turned out for you!