Sourdough Banana Bread is a great way to use up an abundance of Sourdough Starter – if you have had Starter feeding on the counter in your kitchen for a week … then time to put it to use!
If you don’t have any starter, it’s very handy to have on hand to make everything from pancakes to sourdough bread (+ more) – you can see our last post if you aren’t familiar with making sourdough starter.
This bread differs from traditional banana bread in that it is a little more dense & moist – although it makes just one loaf, it’s very filling, so each piece goes quite a long way.
You will want to make sure you leave yourself plenty of time to bake this bread in the oven – it takes at least 60 minutes, and will be a very large loaf.
- 1/3 C. Butter, melted
- 3 Tbsp Honey or Maple Syrup
- 1 Egg
- 2-3 Ripe Bananas
- 1 C. Sourdough Starter
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 C. Organic Whole Wheat Flour or Organic All Purpose Unbleached Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Power
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- Optional: 3/4 C. Walnuts, chopped
- Optional: 3 drops Nutmeg Essential Oil and 3 drops Lemon Vitality Essential Oil (we use Young Living)
- Preheat the oven to 350 and then butter and lightly flour your baking pan.
- Cream the butter, honey/syrup, egg, bananas, vanilla, starter and optional Essential Oils.
- Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda and optional walnuts... just until blended.
- Pour into the baking pan and bake for 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool on a baking rack for 30 minutes before removing, then cool further before slicing.