One of the best advantages of having an Instant Pot is being able to cook frozen fish fillets in just under 10 minutes. Then, being able to turn around and make fish chowder with them in the same pot.
Not a whole lot of dish washing involved – which is GREAT (because face it – who loves washing dishes?)
This recipe is easy – not to mention, very forgiving.
You can use any kind of soft, white fish (we used Cod)… you can omit the mushrooms if you wish. If you like a little more spice, you can throw in more Old Bay Seasoning, and if you don’t have evaporated milk, then use half & half or heavy cream (if you aren’t watching calories!)
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- 1 C. Onion, chopped
- 1/2 Mushrooms, sliced
- 4 C. Potatoes, peeled & diced
- 4 C. Organic Chicken Broth
- 2 lbs Cod
- 1 tsp Old Bay Seasoning (or more)
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1 C. Clam Juice
- 1/2 C. Flour
- 1 C. Half & Half or, 1 can Evaporated Milk
- Optional: 4-6 slices of Bacon
- In your Instant Pot, place the trivet along with 1 C. of water.
- Lay a few pieces of frozen cod on the trivet, lock the lid and close the valve, and cook on high (manual) for 9 minutes before releasing the pressure.
- Remove the cod and put on a large plate, dice into large chunks with knife and fork.
- In the meantime, dump the liquid out of the pot and remove the trivet.
- Put the steel pot back in the device.
- Push saute, and add the onions, mushrooms, and butter, and saute until soft (2 minutes or so).
- Add the potatoes, and chicken broth, and lock lid on the cooker, then close the valve.
- Push high (manual) for 8 minutes.
- At the completion (when it beeps), release pressure, and stir in Old Bay Seasoning, salt, pepper and fish.
- Mix the flour with the clam juice until blended and pour into the soup.
- Turn the Instant Pot OFF and add the half and half until well blended.
- Serve with fresh buttered rolls.
- If you are using bacon, cook the onions and mushrooms in the bacon fat before adding the potatoes and chicken broth.
We served the chowder with these amazing Sweet Brown Molasses Rolls – which were super easy to make & turned out amazingly well!