Learn how to make homemade lemon extract – it’s simple to make and a cost effective alternative to buying expensive bottles in store.
Love lemons and want to add a lemony twist to your favorite recipes? This homemade lemon extract is the best way to add a twist to your favorites while saving money at the same time.
With just two ingredients and a little bit of hands-off time, you can have homemade lemon extract. It’s great added to your favorite muffin or bread recipe and is a surefire way to liven up food.
It also makes a beautiful, inexpensive gift for friends and family at the holidays… even better if you have your own lemon tree.
Homemade Lemon Extract
Picking up store bought lemon extract is quite a bit more in cost than making it yourself. This simple recipe for Homemade Lemon Extract requires just two ingredients and a little bit of hands-off waiting time:
- Organic lemons – grown in my own backyard
- Vodka – 750ml was $7.99 (or $.31 per oz)
So for just a fraction of the price of store purchased lemon extract you can make your own much more affordably. Lemon extract makes a wonderful gift for family and friends who love to bake, too!
Lemon Extract Recipe
- 4 lemons
- 1.25 C vodka
- Wash lemons and dry them.
- Using a zester or a citrus twist peeler, remove the zests from all the lemons. You want to try and only get the yellow part as the white part will make the extract bitter.
- Add the zest to a jar and pour the vodka over it. Make sure that all the zest is submerged. Place the lid on the jar and keep in a dark area.
- Every few days over the next four weeks give it a shake.
- After four weeks, strain off the liquid from the zest making sure to keep the liquid. Add the liquid to small jars.