In my area of the country, the summer has been struggling with high temps – as high as 120, and although dry, quite a challenge to live with.
It’s too hot to play outside… so kids are trying to find things to keep themselves busy indoors – but no matter what is on the agenda, it includes drinking lots and lots of liquids. Preferably liquids that aren’t going to jeopardize your health (say no to soda, coffee and other sugary drinks). This fresh cucumber melon water fits the bill!
We recently took off on a sporadic trip out of town and wanted to ensure we used up our produce before we left – nothing like coming back to yucky cucumbers in the fridge that could have been better used – right?!
This is one of our favorite ways to use them quickly and easily – it doesn’t require long, complicated steps and the kids love the change of pace from the plain ol’water that they are used to being told to drink.
And drink often at that!
Honeydew has a natural sweetness that gives just the right amount of taste to the water without having to add any refined sugar… though if you are looking for more sweetener, feel free to add a few tablespoons of honey or, even maple syrup.
Simply cut up the cucumbers (skin on) into large chunks, and toss in the blender. Then take your honeydew and peel before tossing that in large chunks in the blender along with the cucumber.
Fill up the blender halfway with water and pulse until blended. Pour through a strainer into a 2 quart jug, making sure you use the back of a spoon to push the remaining puree through the strainer. Then top off with water and refrigerate before serving over ice.
We even went a step further and dressed the rim of the glasses with Tajin lime/chile for presentation... this is such a nice change from traditional water and so stinkin’ easy to make!
A naturally sweet change from water, this cucumber honeydew agua fresca is deliciously simple to make!
- 1 medium honeydew melon, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 cucumbers, skin on and chopped into large pieces
- optional: 2-3 Tbsp raw honey
- also optional: handful of fresh mint, for additional flavor
- Take the cucumber and melon and add to your blender. Fill the blender halfway with water and puree until combined. (If using mint, add at this time to puree with the melon and cucumber).
- Push the puree through a strainer into a 2 qt jug - making sure to use the back of a spoon. (Don't throw the puree that's remaining! It makes a wonderful body scrub when combined with sugar.)
- Top off the jug with water and ice, and garnish the rims of the glasses with Tajin before serving.
[…] 4. Cucumber Melon Agua Fresca […]
[…] Cucumber Melon Agua Fresca […]