Try cooking chickpeas, or, garbanzo beans, in the Instant Pot or pressure cooker. This no-frills method is quick and easy!
Chances are, if you have an Instant Pot, one of the biggest reasons for picking one up is to allow yourself to make beans from dry, much faster than boiling on the stove.
For me, that was a huge motivator – we make beans often – Pinto, Garbanzo (Chickpeas), White Beans, and more – and normally it would require a soak, then simmering on the stove for what seems like eternity.
And when you live in Arizona, your goal is to keep the house as cool as you can during the summer so your electricity bill is not astronomical. Right?
So the Instant Pot comes to the rescue – in a fraction of the time!
How to Cook Garbanzo Beans (Chickpeas) in the Instant Pot
Some things to remember when making beans in the Instant Pot:
- Beans double in volume & weight after soaking or cooking
- Soaking is not required; but if you do opt to soak, it’ll speed up the cooking process
- Do not fill the Instant Pot over half full with water
- Let the pressure come down naturally after cooking
Cooking time will vary – from Instant Pot to Pressure Cooker. The stove top pressure cooker may cook them slightly faster as it has a higher psi than an Instant Pot.
- 1 C. dry Chickpeas/Garbanzo Beans
- 4 C. Water
- 3-4 cloves Garlic
- 2 Bay Leaves
- Rinse the chickpeas, and add to the Instant Pot.
- Add water, garlic and bay leaves.
- Place the top on the Instant Pot - close the valve, and set the Instant Pot to beans for 35 minutes.
- The pot will take time to come to pressure - once the 35 minutes of cook time is done, the pot will beep.
- Allow the pressure to come down naturally for 10-15 minutes, then open the pot.
- Soaking the beans prior to cooking in the Instant Pot is not required. However, if you do choose to soak ahead of time, set the pot for a cook time of 20 minutes. Cooking time is approximate - and can range from 35-45 minutes.