Chances are you have jumped on the Instant Pot bandwagon ~ I know we came on board last December and honestly haven’t looked back since!
Of all the kitchen appliances out there, I think this one (Instant Pot) ranks RIGHT up there with the KitchenAid mixer. In fact..it might just be more awesome than the mixer – and I use the mixer daily. Sometimes multiple times a day... (bad addiction to have – right?)
The Instant Pot really does it all – it can make eggs, rice, meat in a matter of minutes, and even cheesecake ~ but what you might not realize is that it can also make cake, too. And although a nice chocolate snack cake is nice to have every so often (catch that very light recipe HERE)…. this Banana Cake is healthier.
Making this cake will require a 3 C. Bundt Pan – you can pick one up HERE on Amazon. The Bundt pan sits on the trivet and takes just 25 minutes in the Instant Pot. When you release the pressure, it will have some condensation on the top of the cake – but once you remove it and let it sit to cool, that condensation should disappear fairly quickly.
There isn’t much difference between cooking a Bundt cake in the Instant Pot versus the oven – the main difference is that you aren’t heating up the house. Your bundt will also come out more moist, and less darker from the Instant Pot than if you cooked it in the oven.
- 1 1/2 C. Organic All Purpose, Unbleached Flour
- 2 Bananas, ripe
- 1/4 C. Raw Honey
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 2 Eggs
- 3 Tbsp Coconut Oil
- 1/2 C. Milk + 1 Tbsp Milk (we used Raw)
- 1Tbsp Vinegar
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 2 drops Nutmeg Essential Oil (or 1/8 tsp regular Nutmeg)
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon or 2 drops Cinnamon Vitality Essential Oil (Young Living)
- 1/3 C. Chocolate Chips
- Optional: 1/4 C. Powdered Sugar (for dusting the cake when finished)
- Spray your 3 C. bundt pan generously with baking spray OR, grease using butter and lightly flour inside. Set aside.
- You might want to make a sling with aluminum foil by using an 18" piece of foil and folding it several times to lay under the pan and formulate "handles" that you can use to lift the pan out of the hot pot when it's done (not necessary but can be nice to have).
- Add the vinegar to the milk and let sit until it starts to curdle and turn into buttermilk.
- Mix the bananas, honey, vanilla, eggs, oil, milk, buttermilk and nutmeg essential oil and blend on high until combined.
- Stir in the dry ingredients (flour, cinnamon, baking soda).
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into the bundt pan, and shake to distribute evenly.
- Place the trivet in the Instant Pot along with 2/3 C. water.
- Take the bundt pan and place it atop the trivet.
- Lock the lid on the Instant Pot, close the valve, and set the timer for 25 minutes on high (manual).
- Once the IP beeps, do a quick release, and carefully remove the bundt pan - you may see some condensation on top of the cake and that is O.K. - it will go away once the cake cools.
- Cool for 10 minutes and then carefully remove from the pan and finish cooling before slicing.
- Dust the cooled cake with a light layer of powdered sugar for presentation.
- You can also use Ground Nutmeg in lieu of the Essential Oil - we recommend 1/8 tsp.