Combine garden fresh pesto with chicken to make this deliciously simple yet flavorful Pesto Chicken Soup in the Instant Pot or on the stove top!
This past summer was a hot one in Arizona – temps soared over 115. Rain was minimal. Days were nothing but pure, full sun – but it wasn’t all too bad!
With that hot weather came an abundance of greens from my garden..
You name it – it grew! Spinach, basil, cilantro, parsley, the list goes on. Some of those are things we can get here all year long in Arizona. However, sometimes it seems as if they become available even more during this time of the year.
It’s good. It really is – because when I have too much, I use it to make the most delicious pesto. It’s so easy to make at home – a little of this, a little of that, a whizz of the food processor and voila!
Even better? If you don’t have the time to make pesto, just buy some prepared pesto and call it a day. It doesn’t need to be complicated!
Season with a bit more salt and keep that pesto in canning jars to use on pasta, as a dip, or in this soup for the rest of the week. It really is a good way to use up a ton of greens!
Pesto Chicken Soup
Preparing soup with pesto might sound off the wall, but it’s a delicious soup that can be doctored up to reflect the loves and likes of your family. For this particular recipe, we threw two [thawed] chicken breasts and a half cup of water in our Instant Pot for 15 minutes.
Then, we released the pressure and shredded with a fork.
We drained the liquid, put the chicken back in the pot, and threw in a few tablespoons of butter. We let the “warm” feature melt the butter. Then we mixed in a few tablespoons of flour to make a roux before adding in our chicken broth and heavy cream.
Once the mixture thickened up, we added the chicken, prepared pesto, salt and our cooked/drained rotini pasta.
The pesto chicken soup was delicious! It was creamy, flavorful, rich, and satisfying enough to make this a permanent part of our future dinner rotations.
Our kids love a little spice in their soup, so I added a few red pepper flakes – yum!
Pesto Chicken Soup
- Instant Pot
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts thawed
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 3 Tbsp all purpose flour
- 3 C. chicken broth
- 1/2 C. heavy cream or half and half
- 3 Tbsp prepared pesto find recipe far above
- 4-5 oz. rotini pasta dry
- 1/2 tsp salt to taste
- slivered almonds
- sour cream
- sliced red bell peppers
- chopped cilantro
- Throw your pasta in a small saucepan, cover with water, and cook for 8-9 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In your Instant Pot, place the thawed chicken breasts, along with 1/2 C. water. Cook on manual (high pressure) for 15 minutes. Quick release, remove the chicken and shred. Toss the liquid.
- Place the butter in the Instant Pot on warm function; once melted, add the flour, and mix with the butter to create a thick paste - a roux.
- Add your chicken broth and heavy cream and place pot on "soup" function. Allow the roux to thicken the broth for just a few minutes, then add the heavy cream, pesto, shredded chicken and pesto.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Soup should be ready to ladle into bowls - garnish with slivered almonds, sour cream, sliced bells, and chopped cilantro.
- Refrigerate leftovers & enjoy within 48 hours.
Did you make this recipe?
If you loved this recipe, I would be so appreciative if you gave the recipe a review.