This delicious Turkey Salad recipe is a wonderful way to use up leftover turkey. Serve it on crackers or toasted bread during the holidays or anytime!
‘Tis the holiday season, and that means every opportunity to take advantage of every sale on turkey at the market. Just a few days before Thanksgiving, I found myself without a working oven… Though I had picked up a turkey just a few weeks before my oven went out, I had no idea that Thanksgiving might just not have a turkey.
Thankfully, I was able to fix up the oven just a few hours before Thanksgiving morning, and the turkey-making day began without a hitch.
Turkey Salad Recipe
I’m embarrassed to say that sometimes I’m more excited to eat leftover turkey than the actual “real” turkey itself. A 20-lb turkey leaves a lot of wiggle room for leftovers for weeks after Thanksgiving on into December.
Substitute leftover turkey in your favorite chicken recipes and you have quite a few ways to stretch out what’s left on the bird:
All in all, this Turkey Salad Recipe *might* just be my favorite use for leftover turkey.
Start with 3/4 of a pound of cooked turkey – shred it up or dice it well. Combine with a few stalks of chopped celery, some walnuts, a handful or so of cranberries, and salt. Wrap all that up in your favorite mayo – whether it’s store bought or homemade mayo, Turkey Salad will come together perfectly.
Season with a little salt and serve on crackers as an appetizer or on toasted bread. Turkey salad makes a decliious meal all its own – feel free to change it up to suit your taste, too!
- Use raisins instead of cranberries, or dehydrate your own cranberries
- Substitute almonds in lieu of walnuts
- Add a diced onion for extra flavor
- Feel free to use capers
- If you like a sweeter turkey salad, then add a half tsp of sugar to the mayo
More recipes you might like:
Did you make this Turkey Salad recipe? If you did, please take a minute to rate the recipe – comment and let me know if you kept the recipe as-is or made changes!
Turkey Salad Recipe
- 3/4 lb cooked turkey meat finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery finely chopped
- 1/4 C dried cranberries or raisins
- 1/3 C walnuts
- 1/8 tsp ground pepper
- 1/2 C mayonnaise
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Combine the mayonnaise, ground pepper, walnuts, dried cranberries, and celery.
- Combine the diced turkey and mix together well.
- Add salt, as needed.
- Transfer to a serving bowl or container with a tight-fitting lid and refrigerate for a minimum of 2 hours or until ready to serve.