This Instant Pot Vegetarian Pho Soup is sure to be a big hit. It is made with a super flavorful broth and rice noodles and loaded with herbs and vegetables.
Pronounced “fuh” (I always used to say “Fo”…), pho is probably one of the best k now Vietnamese foods here in the United States. It is one of my very favorite things to eat besides a beautiful, juicy steak. The base of pho is rice noodles and a really deep, flavorful broth – but between the noodles and the broth come quite a few variations.
You can find beef pho (pho bo), and chicken pho (pho ga).. as well as meatless options in between. In some areas of Vietnam, pho is left as is — leaving the flavors of the herbs and spices like star anise, black peppercorns, cloves and more to shine through.
But in other areas, you might find people piling up their pho with lime, chiles, cilantro, all kinds of fresh herbs and even bean sprouts topped with a chili hoisin sauce. Yum and yum!
Instant Pot Vegetarian Pho
This Instant Pot Vegetarian Pho recipe is a mix between all of those delicious varieties. There is only one difference though – the Vietnamese can spend all day making their delicious pho. During that time, the spics simmer and infuse the broth. However, unlike the Vietnamese, I don’t have a shop that specializes in pho.
Nor do I have all day to allow the flavors to meld together.
To make vegetarian pho, I pull out the Instant Pot... which pulls everything together in a fraction of the time.
This version of Pho is vegetarian… but you can easily add chicken or beef to this recipe. You could even go a step further and add tofu as well.
Once pulled together, this Instant Pot Tofu recipe takes just minutes to throw together. Finish the pho with toppings of fresh herbs – lime, bean sprouts (if you wish), jalapeños, maybe even hot chili sauce.
This Instant Pot Vegetarian Pho is perfect for breakfast, lunch, cooler weather, or even when you’re under the weather. Go ahead, give it a try! Let me know how you like to eat your pho!
Instant Pot Vegetarian Pho
- Instant Pot
Instant Pot Vegetarian Pho:
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 10 black peppercorns whole
- 3 star anise whole
- 1/2 tsp ground clove
- 1 Tbsp garlic
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 white onion quartered
- 56 oz vegetable broth
- 1.5 C shiitake mushrooms
- 1 baby bok choy
- 6 spring onions chives saved
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 pkg rice noodles
- spring onions/chives
- Place instant pot on saute mode. Add in olive oil, black peppercorns, star anise, clove, garlic, ginger, and the cinnamon stick. Saute about two minutes. Add in quartered onion and saute another two minutes. Turn off saute mode.
- Pour in vegetable broth. Add in mushrooms. Add in spring onion bottoms reserving the chives for topping later. Pull the baby bok choy apart and wash. Add to pot. Add in salt and stir well.
- Place lid onto the instant pot. Set valve to seal position. Press high pressure/pressure cook/manual button and set time to 1 minute. The broth will heat up as it comes to pressure.
- Meanwhile, cook the rice noodles as direct on the stove. These have special instructions and shouldn't be made in the pot.
- Once complete add the noodles to the pho. Serve with limes, jalapeno, cilantro, and any other toppings.
Did you make this recipe?
Take a minute to let others know how it turned out – rate the recipe and leave a comment!
Look for more Instant Pot recipes below:
Leave a Reply