This creamy Fire Roasted Poblano Queso Dip is full of deep, smoky flavors – perfect to serve up with fresh tortilla chips for a delicious appetizer!
With peppers coming in from the garden, this dip is a surefire way to use them up (while also being a hit with the kids!)
Make no mistake, Poblano peppers are my favorite pepper to work with in the kitchen. Not only are they quite easy to grow, they pack a real punch to all of your favorite dishes.
- Love pesto? You’ll want to try this Roasted Garlic and Poblano Pesto
- Who doesn’t enjoy tacos? Whip up this Roasted Poblano Cream Sauce ..
And for the cheese-lovers, this Fire Roasted Poblano Queso Dip will be a hit at the dinner table.
It’s perfect for the next big football game or family get together. Double the recipe for a larger crowd, too!
Roasted poblano peppers add a certain level of deep, smoky flavor to all of your favorite dishes. There’s nothing quite as good as throwing in a level of kick to all of your favorite foods.
Like this yummy Fire Roasted Poblano Queso Dip.
So, so good!
Fire Roasted Poblano Queso Dip
Simply rinse off your poblanos and toss them on a hot grill to roast them until the skin begins to blister. Allow them to cool on a plate, and carefully peel the skin off the poblano and set aside.
Once the roasted skin has been peeled off, remove the stem and seeds. Then finely chop and set aside until the dip is done.
To make the dip, melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour and whisk to make a roux (about 30 seconds to 1 minute). Whisk in your milk slowly and cook, stirring constantly until thickened, 3-5 minutes.
Reduce the heat to low and add your shredded Monterey jack cheese, cream cheese, salt, paprika, pepper and cayenne (optional!) Once the cheese has melted and the spices have combined, stir in the chopped poblanos that you previously set aside.
Garnish with additional poblanos and serve with tortilla chips.
Note: this is a mild dip – so feel free to add more heat! What doesn’t get devoured can be refrigerated and reheated up to one week later.
Fire Roasted Poblano Queso Dip
- 3 ea poblano peppers
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp onion minced
- 1.5 C milk
- 1.5 C Monterey Jack cheese shredded
- 2 oz cream cheese softened
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/8 tsp ground pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- Rinse your poblano peppers and roast them over a hot grill (or in your oven). Turn them frequently until they blister on each side and the skin is wrinkly. Remove and set aside.
- In a medium skillet, saute the minced onion in butter. Add flour and cook - 30 seconds more. Whisk in milk slowly and cook, stirring constantly, until thickened - 3 to 5 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low and add Monterey Jack cheese, cream cheese, salt, paprika, pepper, and optional cayenne pepper. Whisk until the cheese is melted and everything is well blended. Stir in the chopped poblano peppers.
- Top with additional chopped poblano peppers before serving with tortilla chips.
- Recipe makes just over 2 C. of Roasted Poblano Queso Dip.
Did you give this a try and enjoy it? Tag us on social media at @RebootedMom to let us know how it fared on your dinner table!