An easy recipe for the best Roasted Poblano Cream Sauce, made with simple ingredients for a rich and delicious sauce that’s full of deep flavor!
This isn’t the first time I’ve mentioned this particular tidbit — but make no mistake, Poblano peppers are my favorite pepper to work with in the kitchen.
Not only are they quite easy to grow here in Phoenix, peppers pack a punch to all of your favorite dishes.
Elevate your next batch of pesto by incorporating a few poblano chile peppers. Add it to your favorite queso dip and serve at your next party as a delicious appetizer. Stuff them full of Monterey jack and make chile rellenos..
Poblano peppers add a certain level of depth and flavor to Mexican dishes, enough to take a dish from just average to over the top. There’s nothing more intoxicating than the smell of roasted poblanos from the hot grill on a lazy afternoon.
If anything, it’s a wake up to your senses and a (good) warning that heavenly food is on the way.
A good poblano chile is enough to pack a punch to all of your favorite Mexican foods. Whether scrambled eggs, tacos, burritos, enchiladas and so much more.
Enough of that though.. lets talk about this delicious roasted poblano cream sauce.
Roasted Poblano Cream Sauce
To make this sauce, I washed a few poblano peppers and tossed them on a hot gas grill and roasted them on each side until they began to blister. You can use the oven for this too. I just find that the grill is the best way to keep the house cool in the hot summer heat!
Once roasted, peel off the outer skin and toss aside. Then cut the stem off of each pepper, slice down the side and remove the seeds.
Grab your high-speed blender or food processor and blend up your ingredients until they turn into a smooth, green paste. Take it up another notch by adding in full fat sour cream and giving it one last whizz…
Your ingredients will come together to create this luscious sauce with an unimaginable depth of flavor.
The roasted poblano cream sauce is now yours to enjoy! Drizzle it on your scrambled eggs, fresh seafood, tacos, or shredded beef.
Anywhere you need to pack a punch in the flavor department!
This simple recipe for roasted poblano cream sauce (below) will lend way to just over 2 cups of delicious goodness.
Kept refrigerated and it’ll last for a week or two (but you’ll have it devoured before then!)
Roasted Poblano Cream Sauce
- 5 poblano peppers
- 1 ea onion medium
- 4 ea cloves garlic chopped
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 C cilantro chopped
- 1 C sour cream preferably full fat
- 1/8 tsp ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt or more, to taste
- Rinse your poblano peppers and roast them over a hot grill (or in your oven). Turn them frequently until they blister on each side and the skin is wrinkly. Remove and set aside.
- In a medium skillet, saute the onions and garlic in olive oil until soft (4-5 minutes). Set aside.
- Peel the skin off the roasted peppers. Cut the stem off and discard. Slice the pepper open and discard the seeds. Roughly chop the peppers.
- Combine the peppers, onions, garlic and cilantro in a high-powered blender or food processor. Pulse until well combined, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Add in the sour cream (or full fat Greek yogurt), salt and pepper and blend until it turns into a smooth, beautifully green sauce.
- Transfer to a glass jar and refrigerate until ready to use. When stored/refrigerated properly, this roasted poblano cream sauce will keep for up to 2 weeks.
- Recipe makes 2.5 Cups
- Serving size: 2 Tbsp (20 servings per recipe)
Did you give this a try and enjoy it? Tag us on social media at @RebootedMom to let us know how it fared on your dinner table!
Looking for more ways to use up Poblano chiles? Try this recipe, below!