During a chilly winter, sometimes all your body needs is a simple bowl of soup – agree? And nothing fancy — but thrown together with basic produce you might have from your local CSA share or what’s left in the fridge from the farmers market visit.
This sweet potato and black bean chili will hit the spot – not only is it incredibly healthy, it’s a cinch to whip up and perfect to pair with simple breadsticks, or even sweet potato hatch chile cornbread. Plus, sweet potatoes are one of the most versatile vegetables — you can steam and mash to use in Sweet Potato Hatch Chile Ccornbread, gluten and grain-free Sweet Potato Chocolate Donuts (oh my gosh! SO good!) or mash and use in Sweet Potato Taquitos (yum!).
If you are really feeling bold you can steam and mash and use in this Coconut Milk Sweet Potato Pie – it’s incredible!
To get started, peel and dice up a sweet potato, and set that aside. Then dice up an onion and bell pepper or two… throw in a stockpot and saute until softened. Add the sweet potato and spices, making sure to coat the veggies evenly in the spices. Toss in your garlic and saute with all of the goodness in the stockpot until fragrant — then add in your broth along with your diced tomatoes, and black beans (rinsed and drained).
Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce the heat to low/medium and allow to simmer for 25 minutes until potatoes are soft. Add any seasonings as needed, and ladle up with your choice of toppings. Yum!
What’s your favorite way to use sweet potatoes?
A simple and healthy soup that combines sweet potatoes with black beans and spices to make a meatless soup that's perfect for cold weather!
- 2 medium sweet potatoes (or 1 large)
- 1 onion
- 1 bell pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 15 oz. cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 2 ½ cups vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- salt to taste
- Optional toppings: chopped avocado, green onion, fresh cilantro
- Dice onion and bell pepper. Peel and dice sweet potato, set aside.
- In a stockpot over medium heat, sauté diced onion and bell pepper until softened.
- Add sweet potato and spices, stir to coat the vegetables in the seasonings. Continue to sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add minced garlic, and stir. Allow garlic to sauté with the vegetables for 1 minute.
- Pour in vegetable broth and diced tomatoes (with juice) and black beans (rinsed and drained) to stockpot.
- Adjust heat to bring to a boil. Cover the stockpot and allow the chili to simmer for 25 minutes, stirring a few times.
- Taste chili and adjust seasons if needed.
- Serve warm with desired toppings.
Leave a Reply