Transform your leftover Turkey meat into Turkey Carnitas that are perfect for tacos ~ the best part? You won’t have to spend tons of time and you can forego the lard that is traditionally used for pork carnitas.
This is such an easy and delicious way to whip up a fast dinner!
If you are close to Whole Foods, you can pick up the Organic Mini Sliders Corn Tortillas ~ they are just a few dollars are are far better than the regular Corn Tortillas you would buy at any other grocery store.
By frying your shredded cooked turkey meat you get turkey that is crispy and brown and wrapped in flavor.
Boiling the meat first makes it incredibly tender.
Garnish with additional onions, diced bell pepper, lime and/or cilantro.
- Leftover cooked dark turkey meat
- 1 sour orange per pound of leftover turkey meat
- 1 medium onion + 1/2 medium onion, sliced and separated
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Optional: 4 drops Orange Vitality Essential Oil (we use Young Living)
- Optional: fresh limes, cilantro, diced onion and/or sliced orange for garnish
- In a medium dutch oven, combine your bay leaf, turkey (with or without bones), orange, and whole onion and add enough water to fill it halfway.
- Cover the stockpot and bring to a boil - then reduce to a simmer, 45 minutes or until the turkey is tender.
- Discard the onion, orange and bay leaves and drain the water.
- Shred the turkey and set aside.
- In a non-stick skillet, add the turkey, the remaining 1/2 sliced onion and olive oil, and cook until meat is browned. Stir it frequently to crisp up the turkey.
- Stir frequently to introduce new turkey to the bottom and allow it to crisp up.
- Add the essential oil (optional).
- Season with salt and then serve in tacos with onion and optional pepper, cilantro, and lime juice.