Easy to make sweet potato dog treats that consist of just one simple ingredient – guaranteed to make you the best dog parent around!
Did you know…
That sweet potatoes have some of the highest fiber amongst vegetables, and most dogs love them?
Absolutely indeed – and onward we go on making our own homemade sweet potato dog treats. 🤨
I’m sure that if you are a pet parent you are all too familiar with the dog treats you can often times find in bags in the supermarket. Some of them are big bags, some are little bags… some are expensive bags 😱
Buying dog treats can definitely be a hit on your budget, especially if you have one hungry dog who loves to devour them by the bag (and quite literally!)
Homemade Dog Treats
Making your own dog treats is actually quite easy – especially when they are one simple ingredient (hello – sweet potatoes!) They are so delicious your pup will love you forever!
If you can buy some sweet potatoes, slice them into 1/4″ slices and throw them on a dehydrator tray, then you have it made. The hardest part might just be waiting for them to dry…
Flip on the dehydrator and allow them to dry over a period of 7-8 hours; before you know it, your house will smell incredibly cozy and you will have a new tasty dog treat on your hands.
(By the way, they aren’t ‘just’ for dogs… I actually happen to like dehydrated sweet potatoes too and I’m human!) My kids thought they were a delicious treat and actually consumed 1/4 of the treats before I could let them cool and bag them up.
How do you know when they are done?
- You’ll want to aim for 7-8 hours on the dehydrator – your sweet potatoes should be leathery. Should you leave them in there longer (or slice them too thin) then they will be crispy. Follow these tips for the best sweet potato dog treats:
- Cut the sweet potato into slices at least 1/4″ or more (you want them thicker than potato chips!)
- Dehydrate them at 130-135 for 7-8 hours; check on them halfway through and flip (if needed) or rotate trays.
- Allow them to cool once they are done dehydrating. Then store in a tightly sealed ziplock bag or food saver bag if they are traveling by mail to friends or family.
More DIY ideas:
More Sweet Potato Recipes:
- Sweet Potato Butter
- Sweet Potato Sea Salt Dinner Rolls
- Maple Cinnamon Sweet Potato Bread
- Hatch Chile Sweet Potato Cornbread
- Sweet Potato Chocolate Donuts
Did you make this DIY/Recipe? If you did, please take a second to give it a STAR rating and leave a comment to let me know how your pup liked them.
Sweet Potato Dog Treats
- 3 large sweet potatoes scrubbed and towel dried
- Slice the sweet potatoes into thin slices at least 1/4".
- Place the sweet potato slices on your dehydrator trays, evenly spaced apart.
- Dehydrate at 135 degrees F for 8 hours, rotating or flipping halfway through.
- Once done, they should be leather tough, but not crisp. Store in a tightly covered container or ziplock bag when not serving.