An easy recipe for a healthy and tasty sourdough pita bread that requires just a few simple ingredients that yield incredible results!
A great sourdough starter is definitely a God-send. It makes a world of difference when you’re in the mood to whip together a delicious loaf of sourdough bread, English muffins or even sourdough pretzels.
However, as amazing as a sourdough starter might be, there are times when keeping him/her fed can be a chore.
I’ve named my wild grape sourdough starter “George” – and I’ll be honest – he has really earned his keep. He stays in the fridge most of the time. When I have plans to make bread, I pull him out the night before, pour off the hooch and feed him that night and again the next morning.
This Sourdough Pita Bread recipe makes 8 pita bread rounds, or 16 pita halves. Stuff with your favorite hummus and veggies for a healthy, filling meal.
Although this pita bread requires a little planning in advance (feeding the starter..), it really is quite simple to make. Feed your starter 4 hours before you mix up the dough.
It’s best (and easiest) to let the dough sit overnight anywhere from 8-12 hours; then separate into rounds in the morning and throw on the griddle.
Sourdough Pita Bread
- 2 C all purpose flour
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 C sourdough starter freshly fed
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 3/4 - 1 C water
- It's best to feed your starter 3-4 hours prior to starting this sourdough pita bread recipe.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, and salt. Mix in the oil and starter. Add 3/4 C. water, then add the remaining water a little at a time until dough is soft and elastic.
- Grease a large bowl. Place the dough in the bowl, turning to coat.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and allow to proof 8-12 hours (overnight) until double in volume.
- Punch down, and separate into 8 equal size portions. Roll into a ball, then press into a 6-8 inch circle about 1/4 inch thick.
- Cover the dough with a damp cloth and allow to rest for 10 minutes. During that time, heat your griddle to medium heat. Place your pita on top and cook on one side until dough puffs. Flip and repeat.
- Allow to cool on a flat surface. Cut each round in half and stuff with your favorite fillings.
If you loved this sourdough recipe, I would be so appreciative if you gave the recipe a review.
For more great recipes, follow me on Pinterest!