Sourdough Popovers are a great way to use up too much Sourdough Starter – if you have been feeding your starter on the counter in your home and have TOO much to use… give these a try.
Instead of Black Pepper & Nutmeg in spice form, we used Essential Oils – and we use Young Living because they are quality oils, we love their company and we have been using them for several years. It’s great when you have the ability to incorporate wellness items into your love for baking.
You don’t necessarily need a popover pan to make popovers – you will, however, need a muffin pan – and you will need to give it plenty of olive oil to grease the cups.
Don’t have any sourdough starter? It’s relatively easy to make – but it takes a few days. Check out our post HERE to see how you can get started. After 5 days you should have plenty of starter to make these popovers.
- 1 C. Milk (we use Raw Milk)
- 3 Eggs
- 1/2 C. Sourdough Starter
- 3/4 tsp Salt
- 1 C. Flour
- 2 Tbsp Parsley, chopped
- 3 drops Black Pepper Vitality Essential Oil (we use Young Living)
- OR..... 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 4 drops Nutmeg Essential Oil (we use Young Living)
- OR......1 tsp fresh Nutmeg
- 1 Tbsp Kosher Salt
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees F.
- Put the muffin pan in the oven to heat up as the oven preheats.
- Warm the milk just until it feels warm to the touch, then combine with eggs, starter and salt.
- Mix in the parsley, flour, pepper and nutmeg just until blended (do not over mix!)
- Batter might be lumpy.
- Carefully remove the pan from the oven and squirt a little olive oil in the cups (or, if you use baking spray then you can do that) - if you use olive oil use a muffin liner to push the oil around to coat the sides without burning your hand.
- Quickly pour the batter into the pan - fill every other muffin cup to the top to give the popovers room to pop over (they will get large!)
- Bake for 15 minutes at 450.
- Reduce the temperature to 375 and bake until brown - another 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and serve warm with butter.