Find out how to make the most perfect cornmeal cookies – a delicious corn flavor in a pillowy cookie with a soft middle! A favorite for all!
I absolutely love perfect cookies.
You know.. the kids of cookies that are a little bit crispy on the edge, and soft and pillowy in the center. Yum! It’s even better when those cookies are well received by hungry bellies, and those little people ooh and ahh when they bite into the “perfect” cookie.
It almost makes me feel like a superhero.
Maybe I’m exaggerating a bit, but that’s how I feel when I make these delicious “perfect” cornmeal cookies. It was honestly a chance encounter with a bag of cornmeal that was taking up some space in the pantry.
Perfect (I thought!) – lets turn a little cornmeal into some delicious (unavoidable) cookies that can be enjoyed with a cup of hot cocoa. Or a big cup of coffee.
Perfect Cornmeal Cookies
This cornmeal cookie recipe results in a perfect cookie – edges that are slightly crisp, and centers that are fluffy, chewy bites of goodness.
These cookies take on a buttery corn flavor; they’re great for dipping in your morning coffee, hot cocoa, or warm tea. They come together quickly and easily – and can be adapted slightly, too!
These cookies come together with these main ingredients:
- brown sugar
- granulated sugar
To make the perfect cornmeal cookies:
- Use room temperature butter. If you don’t have butter, feel free to substitute lard (equal amounts). Avoid using margarine as it will make the cookies spread too thin.
- Ensure that your egg is room temperature. It will result in lighter, fluffier cookies that are more chewy.
- Cornmeal is critical! Don’t attempt to sub corn flour because that has a different texture.
- Bake for exactly 12 minutes, just until the edges start to brown. Once you remove the sheet pan, the cookies will finish cooking.
Looking for more cornmeal recipes? Look no further!
- Fermented Cornmeal
- Creamed Corn Cornbread Muffins
- Hatch Green Chile Sweet Potato Cornbread
- Buttery Cornmeal Dinner Rolls
If you try this recipe and love it, make sure to rate the recipe to let us know how it turned out!
- 1/2 C butter room temperature*
- 1/4 C brown sugar
- 1/2 C granulated sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 egg room temperature
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 C cornmeal
- 1 tsp salt
- 1.25 C all purpose flour
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, combine butter, sugar, vanilla, egg and honey and whip at high speed until all of the ingredients come together.
- Gently add the dry ingredients. With the mixer on low/medium, mix just until the dry ingredients are absorbed. Avoid over-mixing.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line two baking trays with parchment paper or a baking mat.
- Roll the cookie dough into balls 2 Tbsp each, between your palms. Place on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 12 minutes, just until the edges start to brown. Allow to cool for 5 minutes. Then transfer to a baking rack.
- Feel free to substitute lard for the butter, in equal amounts. Use lard at room temperature.
- Almond extract can be used in place of vanilla extract.