Love Corn Tortillas? We do too – in fact, depending on the day I like them a little better than flour. Corn tortillas are actually not that difficult to make yourself – much faster than making flour tortillas by hand.
And while corn tortillas are great, sometimes it’s nice to try something new… something different. Something like… Plantain Tortillas. YES – ONE ingredient is all it takes to make these.
They aren’t quite as easy as making regular corn tortillas, but if you are trying to eat less corn based products, then give these a try. They are great in this recipe for Spinach Potato Tacos — just use the Plantain tortillas in lieu of the corn tortillas.
You will want to make sure you pick the greenest of green plantains.
And pick up a tortilla press if you don’t already have one – we have one and use it regularly for tortillas.. it’s great to have. You will want to make sure you cut a gallon Zip bag in half and place each half on the tortilla press (or they will STICK!)
Best part about these tortillas is that they are very flexible – full of flavor, too.
- 2-3 Plantains (the greener the better!)
- Cut the green plantains into 2-3" chunks (with the skin on).
- Toss them in a pot of boiling water and boil for 15-20 minutes or until soft.
- Remove the skins, and take the plantains and pulse in your blender until they come together as a dough.
- Once a dough, take out of the blender and knead 1-2 times.
- Separate into 10-12 balls of dough and roll them in between the palms of your hand.
- Cut a Hefty or Ziploc bag in half and place one piece of plastic on each side of the tortilla press.
- Place the ball of dough on the press and push down to form a tortilla.
- Heat your well seasoned, cast iron skillet on medium, and place the tortillas, one at a time, on the skillet and cook on each side until done.
- Store in a zippered bag or covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Each plantain can make 3-4 taco size tortillas.
Looking for something to serve these with? Try these Vegetarian Potato & Spinach Tacos for dinner with Plantain Tortillas!