Love fresh peaches? There isn’t anything better THAN fresh peaches really ~ ask my kids, they picked 17 lbs. a little over a week ago.
We did not intend to pick that many but .. I’m sure you know how that goes. Once they start, they don’t get tired of picking, and it soon turns into a contest where one thinks they can pick more than the other.
Then.. everyone is too tired to carry those peaches back so they get dumped on mom, who had to walk a mile back from the orchard with baby 5, and a stroller full of tired kids. What a workout. Any farther in the pregnancy and I’m sure I would have put myself in labor.
The pie called for a full cup of sugar.. which I refuse to use, I’m sure it tastes great but more sugar is not our goal, so we cut it in HALF – and it was fine.
We also make our crust homemade – have you ever done that? If not.. it’s amazing! 🙂
- Pastry for a 9 inch pie (2 pieces) or Homemade Pastry
- 1 Egg, beaten
- 5 C. Sliced, Peeled Peaches
- 2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1/2 C. Flour
- 1/2 C. Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 2 drops Nutmeg Essential Oil (or, 1/4 tsp Ground Nutmeg)
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- Preheat the oven to 425.
- Line the bottom of the pie plate with one of the pie crusts.
- Place the sliced peaches in a large bowl - add lemon juice.
- Mix the flour, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- Combine the dry mixture with the peaches - mix gently.
- Pour into the pie crust and top with the butter.
- Cover the pie with the 2nd crust - fold the edges under.
- Brush the top of the pie with the beaten egg and cut 2 slits to allow the pie to vent.
- Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes or until the top crust is golden brown - you may have to cover the edges of the pie halfway through baking to prevent them from being overcooked.
- Cool slightly before serving.