Harira (Moroccan Lentil and Chickpea Soup) is a simple, affordable and delicious meal that uses pantry staples – the entire family will fall in love!
It can be very challenging to find a single meal that pleases all of my five children – not to mention, something that is healthy, budget friendly and just downright easy.
With food prices on the rise, it can be really welcoming to find a meal that uses very common pantry staples and transforms them into something extraordinary.
Like this Harira (Moroccan Lentil and Chickpea Soup) ..
It brings together lentils, chickpeas, canned tomatoes, spices and broth to create an explosion of flavor. The soup is more than just filling, it’s full of flavor and comes together very quickly. One more thing — it uses up items that are also commonly part of food pantry boxes (tomatoes, lentils, and chickpeas!)
What is Harira?
Harira is a savory Moroccan Lentil and Chickpea soup made with dry legumes – it’s traditionally made with lamb or lamb broth but can be made with vegetable broth (or in this case, chicken broth).
Traditional Harira is eaten to break the fast during Ramadan but it is also served throughout the rest of the year as well.
Whip up this soup quickly by browning some diced onion and celery. Toss them into a stockpot, and add your broth, canned tomatoes, lentils, orzo pasta, rinsed chickpeas, spices, and water.
Allow the mixture to simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes until the lentils are softened and the orzo is cooked through. Serve with your favorite crusty sourdough bread and a side salad and you have a full/complete meal.
- Feel free to use any broth of your choice – now is a great time to use up your chicken broth or vegetable broth.
- This soup accommodates brown lentils but green can also be used for an even quicker cooking time.
- Don’t skimp on the spices! The spices are what transform this soup into something very magical.
Looking for more budget friendly recipes?
- Easy Minestrone Soup
- Simple Low Carb Chicken Soup
- Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Instant Pot Beef and Cabbage Soup
Did you make this recipe? Please take a second and rate the recipe and leave a comment with any changes you may have made.
Harira (Moroccan Lentil and Chickpea Soup)
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 C dry lentils, brown or green
- 1/2 C dry orzo pasta
- 15 oz garbanzo beans, canned
- 28 oz crushed tomatoes, canned
- 4 C chicken broth or sub vegetable broth
- 4 C water
- 1 tsp salt or more as needed
- In a large Dutch oven, heat oil on medium heat; add onion and celery and sauté until translucent. Lower heat slightly and add spices; sauté for another minute.
- Add broth, water, lentils, rinsed garbanzo beans, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add orzo pasta and crushed tomatoes. Simmer for an additional 5-7 minutes, adding additional spices/salt/pepper as necessary.
- Serve hot with crusty sourdough bread and season with additional salt as needed.