This yummy, low-carb chicken soup comes together quickly with simple ingredients. It can be easily made in the Instant Pot or stove top!
Wednesday is milk delivery day around here. Our local raw milk dairy drops off anywhere from 9-13 gallons of milk at our house.
It’s exciting just for the sheer fact that once again I have heavy cream that floats to the top of the milk. I like to skim off that cream and use it for many things in the kitchen. Things like cultured butter, sour cream, sourdough, rice pudding, or adding into soups or stews that the family loves to eat.
It saves me from having to buy the less than stellar heavy cream in the store when I want to make this low carb chicken soup.
This soup is simple to throw together and always devoured by the kids — I can’t blame them, it’s absolutely delicious.
Simple Low-Carb Chicken Soup
If you are starting out with thawed chicken breasts, throw them in the Instant Pot for 13-15 minutes at high pressure to cook. When done, release the pressure, dump the liquid and shred the chicken into larger pieces.
Add the olive oil or avocado oil to the Instant Pot and saute the onions and garlic until soft. Toss in the chicken, chicken broth and heavy cream and push the “soup” function on the Instant Pot.
You want to just gradually heat up the soup to allow the flavors to combine. Don’t allow the cream to get too hot or it will curdle on the top of the soup. Stir thoroughly and season liberally with salt and pepper.
The soup is wonderful when served in bowls garnished with cilantro, chopped radish and additional chopped onions. It’s not a creamy soup, but a really flavorful soup with a nice broth base.
You could even adapt the recipe to include diced carrots, mushrooms or zucchini. If you are looking for a creamier soup throw in 2 oz of cubed cream cheese. We love ours as-is without the added cream cheese and it certainly doesn’t stick around long!
Serve the soup next to these cheddar jalapeño rolls – which are also low carb and Keto-friendly!
Low Carb Chicken Soup (Instant Pot)
- Pressure Cooker
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts thawed
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 onion sliced thin
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 3.5 C chicken broth
- 1/2 C heavy cream
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp salt or more to taste
- 4 Tbsp cilantro chopped
- 1/3 C sliced radishes
- 1/4 C cilantro chopped
- hot sauce if desired
- 1/4 C onions diced
- Place 2 thawed chicken breasts in the Instant Pot and add 1/2 C. water. Place the lid on the Instant Pot and cook on high pressure for 15 minutes. Release the pressure and remove the pot - dump the water and shred the chicken into large pieces, set aside.
- In the Instant Pot, add 1 Tbsp olive oil and toss in the garlic and sliced onion and saute until soft, 2-3 minutes.
- Turn saute off and add the chicken you set aside, chicken broth, and heavy cream. Give it a big stir and push the soup function. For 4-5 minutes heat the soup through - don't allow the soup to boil as the cream will curdle the soup.
- Season liberally with pepper, and salt, throw in the shopped cilantro. The soup will not be thick - it'll be a flavorful broth.
- Ladle into bowls, allowing each person a generous helping of shredded chicken. Top with sliced radishes, diced onions, additional cilantro and hot sauce, if desired.
If you give this recipe a try, please leave a comment, rate the recipe and be sure to tag me on Instagram!