This delicious Instant Pot Beef and Cabbage Soup requires simple ingredients that come together easily in the Instant Pot for a comforting family meal!
It doesn’t rain much here in Phoenix, Arizona… but when it does, the weather screams “soup!”
It’s cabbage season and if you are finding cabbage in your local CSA farm box or picking it fresh from your garden, save some. You’ll want to make sauerkraut and use the rest to make this easy, belly-warming beef and cabbage soup.
It’s relatively easy to cook up in the Instant Pot or on the stove top and will be a soup that the whole family enjoys.
Better yet, this soup combines very simple ingredients that you probably already have on hand.
- diced tomatoes
- sliced onions
- ground beef
- beef broth
- your favorite spices & seasonings
Thin down the soup by adding more broth, or thicken it up by going light on the broth to make a chunkier soup that’s perfect over rice. One recipe, two ways – that makes for easy leftovers with some variety!
Instant Pot Beef and Cabbage Soup
You’ll want to start by browning your ground beef and onions in a little olive or avocado oil right in your Instant Pot. Throw in some minced garlic and seasonings and saute until the meat bas browned and the onions are clear.
Turn off the saute feature, and add the beef broth, diced (undrained) tomatoes, and cabbage.
Place the top on the Instant Pot and close the valve. Push manual and set the pot for 5 minutes cook time at high pressure. It will take a little while to come to pressure, then it will count down from 5 minutes.
Once it beeps, allow the pressure to release naturally for a few minutes while you gather the salt and pepper and set the table.
Use caution when you open the Instant Pot, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Ladle into bowls and serve to family or friends.
If you are looking for a thicker soup to serve over rice, then cut back a bit on the broth.
Instant Pot Beef & Cabbage Soup
- Instant Pot
- 1 lb ground beef 85% lean
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 onion sliced thin
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 5 C beef broth
- 1/2 head cabbage sliced
- 14 oz diced tomatoes undrained
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt or more to taste
- 1/4 tsp pepper or more to taste
- 15 oz kidney beans drained
- In your Instant Pot, saute the ground beef, garlic, and onion in avocado or olive oil until ground beef has browned and onions are clear.
- In the same pot, add the beef broth, cabbage, diced (undrained) tomatoes, paprika, garlic powder, and optional kidney beans. Place the lid on the Instant Pot & close the valve.
- Use manual and set the pot on high pressure to cook for 5 minutes. Allow the Instant Pot to release naturally for 10 minutes then do a quick release on remaining pressure.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and ladle into bowls. Refrigerate leftovers and consume within 48 hours.
Looking for more soups to try this winter? Here are a few of our favorites: