Ground Beef and Cabbage – two things that seem SO incredibly simple combine to make one of my favorite things to eat … oh gosh if I could eat this every night, I would!
It’s SO ridiculously easy – so filling, and tastes super!
Cabbage is a staple in our refrigerator – you can do so much with cabbage, from making Egg Rolls to using it in Irish Colcannon Soup or Potatoes, to enjoying it on a nice, hot bowl of Mexican Posole. If you are faced with a half head of cabbage and not sure what to do with it, try using it with ground beef to make a nice stir fry type dinner that is incredibly fast and simple to make.
You can make this on the stove, or, by using the Saute feature on your Instant Pot. I personally love using my Instant Pot because I don’t have to worry about little hands touching the stove or climbing up.
We started with just 1/2 lb of ground beef, thawed out and thrown in the Instant Pot with a little olive oil, and some seasonings like Cumin, Paprika, Turmeric and Garam Marsala.
Once we sautéed it up, we added in the shredded carrots, and cabbage, and let it cook for just a few minutes until soft.
We served this in bowls topped with a little sour cream – the kids tore it up and there was enough left for my lunch the next day. You could easily add more ground beef, or you can choose to go lighter on the ground beef and go heavy on the cabbage to stretch out the meat just a little more.
Beef and Cabbage Stir Fry
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 large head of cabbage or, 1 small head, sliced
- 1 onion sliced thin
- 2 carrots grated
- 4-5 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- Shred the carrots on a box grater, and combine with the sliced onion and set aside.
- Brown the beef in your skillet with your choice of spices or, in your Instant Pot using the saute feature.
- Once browned, add the carrots & onions from the dish you set aside, as well as the sliced cabbage.
- Cook about 5-6 more minutes or until the cabbage and carrots are soft.
- Season with salt & pepper to taste. Serve in bowls topped with sour cream.