Our backyard patio is overflowing with basil ~ 3 huge pots of beautiful, fragrant basil that I picked Friday night so we could use it for dinner. I love having too much basil – it’s wonderful to make pesto, as well as tomato basil soup.
I picked a few handfuls of it and set it on the counter along with some avocados from our CSA… a few cloves of garlic, some fresh lemons and a little extra virgin olive oil… puree those together and it makes some of the most beautiful green sauce that you can stir into pasta.
The hardest part of making this dish is pulling out your food processor ~ while you puree the sauce, boil up your pasta and toss with a little butter.
Just a few weeks ago we went a little crazy with Roma tomatoes from our farmers market and made a few jars of sun dried tomatoes.. threw them in the fridge. They are wonderful when topped on this pasta – the beautiful green and red make the colors pop!
Colorful food tends to fare well with kids too ~ at least with ours, pull out green pasta and their eyes light up. Never in a million years did I ever think my kids would fight over green pasta, but it’s true – they did… with the bowls out in front of them, it was “I want green past! I want it first! Give me pasta NOW I don’t want to wait!”
Boy how I wish it was always like that 😉 I just love it when I make something that everyone wants to eat.
Kick up the flavor in the sauce with lots of garlic – 4 or 5 cloves will pack a little punch to the sauce, and a few drops of Lemon Vitality Essential Oil and Basil Vitality Essential Oil give it even more flavor.
This recipe is perfect for your next meatless meal. Even more, if you have an Instant Pot, you can pick up 15 additional Meatless Meals – perfect for Lent or just to have for your dinner rotation.
Pull out your Young Living Vitality Oils for this one .. they work super! If you don’t have Young Living Vitality Oils, find out how you can get your hands on some here – they are labeled in accordance with the FDA for internal use. Yum!
- 12 oz spaghetti
- 2 avocados, halved, seeded and peeled
- 3/4 C. fresh basil leaves
- 4 cloves garlic
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1/3 C. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 C. cherry tomatoes (halved) OR, 2 Tbsp sun dried tomatoes
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a pot of boiling water, cook the pasta, then drain well.
- Make the avocado sauce by combining the avocado with the lemon juice, basil, garlic, and puree on high - with the food processor going, pour in the olive oil until the mixture emulsifies.
- Combine the pasta with the green sauce and flavor with salt and pepper to taste. If you have vitality oils add 2 drops Basil Vitality and 3 drops of Lemon Vitality at this time.
- Mix well to combine.
- Serve in bowls topped with tomatoes.
Leave a Reply