Quick and easy Instant Pot Chicken Chile Verde that has tons of flavor – perfect for rice, in tacos, burritos and much more!
I don’t know anyone who doesn’t love a good bowl of Chicken Chile Verde. Here in Arizona it’s pretty popular, next to a plate of warm tortillas and a little lime or lemon.
It’s definitely comfort food.
I first had Chicken Chile Verde in New Mexico ~ about ten years ago. It was delicious, yet amazingly spicy.
My husband loves to have Chicken Chile Verde, but for the last few years he has avoided anything spicy. When I made this, I had the notion of taking it to my in laws for dinner.
It never made it out of the house.
I think you could pretty much say that I’m addicted to my Instant Pot – it’s our electric pressure cooker. I have had it for 5 months and every day I am looking for something new to make with it.
Why so much excitement over this appliance?
It’s so versatile – we can make everything from hard boiled eggs to soup, to cheesecake and even our own yogurt. It truly is pretty amazing. It cuts down our cooking time drastically.
Chicken Chile Verde
The best part about this Chicken Chile Verde is that it won’t take you longer than 30 minutes to make. And as long as you can dump things in a pot, it’ll be a success.
Rough chop the vegetables.
Dump them all in.
Add your chicken broth and push the button.
That’s just incredible – right?
You might want an Immersion Blender (if you don’t have one) – you will need it at the end.
If your hands are sensitive like mine are, make sure you wear some gloves when handling the chiles. They might not seem hot offhand.. but once you cut them and throw them in the pot, you’ll find your hands burning (at least I did).
Instant Pot Chicken Chile Verde
- Instant Pot
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts or 3 lbs bone-in chicken
- 3 poblano peppers roughly chopped, seeds tossed
- 2 Anaheim peppers roughly chopped, seeds & stems discarded
- 2 jalapeno peppers roughly chopped, seeds and stems discarded
- 1 onion quartered
- 6 cloves garlic peeled
- 1 Tbsp cumin seed toasted & ground
- 1 lb tomatillos husks removed, rinsed and halved
- 1/2 C chicken broth
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 1/2 C cilantro chopped
- 1 Tbsp fish sauce
- In the Instant Pot, add the Coconut Oil & turn push Saute.
- Add the chicken (bone-in has much more flavor than boneless)
- Top the chicken with the poblano peppers, anaheim peppers, jalapeno, onion, garlic, tomatillos, cumin, and salt.
- Add chicken broth.
- Lock the lid on the Instant Pot and set for manual (High) for 15 minutes.
- When the pot beeps (is done), remove chicken and shred - set aside.
- If you are using cilantro & fish sauce, add at this time, then use your immersion blender to blend, then season with salt & pepper.
- Remove the bones from the chicken, and add the shredded chicken to the sauce - mix well.
- Serve with warm tortillas, chopped cilantro, and wedges or lemon or lime.
- Serrano peppers can be used in lieu of jalapeno peppers.
What’s your favorite way to use poblano peppers?
If you give this recipe a try, please leave a comment, rate the recipe and be sure to tag me on Instagram!
[…] Looking for more chicken recipes for your Instant Pot? Try this homemade Green Enchilada Sauce with Chicken or, this 30 minute Green Chicken Chile Verde. […]
[…] use our Instant Pot to make Green Chile Chicken and freeze for many of our favorite recipes – it’s so handy to have on hand. […]
[…] 30 Minute Chicken Chile Verde-Rebooted Mom […]