This homemade beetroot relish recipe is simple to throw together and perfect when served as an accompaniment to meat, or served as an appetizer. Learn how to make it with just a few simple ingredients!
Beets are one of those veggies that you either love or hate. In most cases, they aren’t always the first go-to when considering summer relish and pickle recipes.
Despite their earthy flavor (aka – they taste and smell like dirt), they perform beautifully in summer relish recipes and make some of the most incredible pickles. Who would have thought that beets could be so versatile?
This homemade beetroot relish combines the earthy flavor of beets and balances them out with a sweet apple, and kick of ginger. Not only does it come together quickly and easily, it’s great next to grilled steak, chicken or even served as an appetizer on your next cheese board.
Homemade Beetroot Relish
Start this relish by peeling 3 large beets and chopping them up in a food processor. If you don’t have a food processor, cut the beets into fourths and put in your Vitamin/BlendTec and pulse briefly until they are coarsely chopped.
Peel your apple and finely dice, before adding to the pot, along with your grated ginger, sugar, vinegar, water, salt and ginger. Bring the ingredients to a rolling boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 25-30 minutes until liquid starts to evaporate.
Scoop into a clean, wide mouth, pint canning jar and allow to cool before covering with lid and ring. Refrigerate and consume the homemade beetroot relish within one week.
Tips to Make Beetroot Relish
Whipping up homemade beetroot relish is simple. Yet you’ll want to keep the following in mind:
- This recipe is not shelf stable! This beetroot relish will need to be stored in the refrigerator.
- It’s best to use wide mouth canning jars for this recipe, which make it easier to remove the relish when you’re ready to enjoy.
- Looking for a sweeter relish? Increase the sugar from 1/4 C to 1/3 C.
More Relish Recipes
- No-Cook Jalapeño Relish
- Sweet Zucchini Relish
- Fermented Brussels Sprouts Relish
- Rosy Radish Relish
- Hatch Chile Relish
I hope you love this recipe for homemade beetroot relish – it’s so easy and delicious! Please take a minute to leave a comment and rate the recipe as well. Don’t forget to follow me on Pinterest.
Homemade Beetroot Relish
- wide mouth pint canning jar
- 3 large beets peeled, coarsely chopped or grated
- 3 Tbsp ginger grated
- 1 apple peeled, cored and finely diced
- 1/4 C granulated sugar
- 1/2 C vinegar
- 1/2 C water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Combine beets, apple, ginger, sugar, vinegar, water, and salt in a medium pot.
- Bring pot to a boil, then turn down the heat and simmer for 25-30 minutes. Liquid should slowly evaporate.
- Transfer relish to clean, wide mouth pint canning jar.
- Allow to cool before topping with lid and ring.
- Keep refigerated unless serving. Consume within 7-10 days.