This cheesy broccoli quinoa casserole is a healthy, meatless alternative to broccoli casserole and is perfect as a side next for your Thanksgiving meal!
Strangely enough, there is something about broccoli that my kids absolutely love. My 3 year old will walk around the house with a head of broccoli and chomp at it as if it’s the next chocolate bar.
Broccoli isn’t exactly chocolate to me though, is it to you? I doubt 🙂
When we have a head or two of broccoli, we usually put it to use in broccoli cheesy rice in the Instant Pot. Or we try to whip it into broccoli soup.
Broccoli Quinoa Casserole
However.. with Thanksgiving coming up, I did want to try to make something that I knew would be a great option at the table alongside Turkey. Say hello to broccoli casserole.
This casserole combines hearty quinoa with broccoli and cheese for a casserole that’s great for a Thanksgiving side. Make the quinoa quickly and easily in your Instant Pot in advance. Then combine with the remaining ingredients. Sprinkle with cheese and top with breadcrumbs for additional flavor.
Bake for a brief 15 minutes until the casserole is hot and the cheese has melted.. then serve.
You’ll love the fact that this casserole comes together quite fast. Throw it in the oven to bake and you’ve got a healthy side that everyone will love.
Cheesy Broccoli Quinoa Casserole
- 1 C quinoa uncooked
- 1 head of broccoli cut into florets
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 C bread crumbs
- 3 Tbsp butter separated
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 2 C milk
- 1.5 C cheddar cheese shredded and divided
- 1/3 C greek yogurt
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- To make the quinoa: use your instant pot to speed the process. Rinse the quinoa in a mesh strainer for 1 minute or so to remove the film.
- Add quinoa to instant pot and cover with 1 1/2 C. water. Put the lid on the instant pot and close the valve; set the time for 1 minute (high pressure/manual) and after it beeps, allow 10 minutes for the pressure to release before removing the lid.
- If you do not have an instant pot, cook the quinoa to the package directions.
- Place a layer of parchment paper on a rimmed cookie sheet and spread the broccoli in a single layer. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Place the rimmed cookie sheet in the oven and roast the broccoli for 10-15 minutes or until soft. Then remove and set aside.
- Melt the 1 Tbsp butter in the skillet over medium, and add the breadcrumbs - stir until lightly toasted, 2-3 minutes. Put in a bowl and set to the side for later.
- Melt the 2 Tbsp butter in the skillet over medium heat; whisk in the flour until a thick paste forms, and then gradually add the milk and stir frequently until the sauce thickens up nicely - 4-5 minutes.
- Stir in the greek yogurt, 1 C. of the cheese, broccoli and quinoa and combine well.
- Season the mixture with salt and pepper, then pour into a greased baking dish and sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 C. cheese.
- Sprinkle the toasted bread crumbs atop the casserole dish.
- Turn the oven down to 350 degrees F, and bake 10-15 minutes or until cheese has melted and bread crumbs on top have browned nicely.
Have you ever thought of using quinoa in a casserole alongside broccoli, greek yogurt and cheese? If not, then give it a try! It’s one of my favorite side dishes to take to potlucks and to serve up at the holidays.
Plus.. it’s full of ingredients that are super healthy for you, too!
If you give this recipe a try, please leave a comment, rate the recipe and be sure to tag me on Instagram!