Ditch the pasta! This flavorful Cauliflower Mac and Cheese takes cauliflower to a whole new level – comfort food without the carbs!
Over the last few years, cauliflower has become quite a popular vegetable in the kitchen. Not only is it an excellent addition to any vegetable tray, it’s well known for being a great substitute for overly carb-y pizza crust and pasta sauce.
While initially you might think that cauliflower can’t possibly taste as good as the real thing, think again. Cauliflower does make an excellent substitute for pizza crust – I can attest to its deliciousness. It’s also great when pureed and poured over pasta in lieu of more fattening Alfredo sauce.
And in the case of delicious mac and cheese, well… it makes a great substitute for pasta. The same carb-ridden pasta that makes you feel bloated and heavy.
Cauliflower Mac and Cheese
This cauliflower mac and cheese starts with a few heads of cauliflower, breaking them down into florets. Drizzle with a little olive oil and roast for a quick bit in your hot oven.
Once roasted, combine the cauliflower with this warm, comforting, cheesy sauce and bake to perfection in your hot oven.
Remove from the oven and sprinkle with chopped parsley and parmesan. Enjoy this non-traditional version of one of the most popular comfort foods.
Not only is this switch up on the traditional comfort food appealing, it will play better with your efforts to go low carb. And you won’t feel as bloated after inhaling a few bowls. I promise.
More cauliflower goodness:
If you do happen to try this delicious switch on traditional macaroni and cheese, please leave a comment, and rate the recipe to let me know how it turned out for you!
Cauliflower Mac and Cheese
Macaroni and Cheese
- 2 heads cauliflower cut to florets
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 C heavy cream
- 6 oz cream cheese
- 4 C cheddar cheese shredded
- 2 C mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1 Tbsp hot sauce your favorite brand
- 1/4 C parmesan cheese
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp parsley fresh or dry, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Toss cauliflower with 2 tablespoons olive oil and salt & pepper.
- Roast in oven until golden brown.
- In a small bowl, combine topping ingredients and set aside.
- In a large pot, bring heavy cream to a simmer over medium heat.
- Reduce heat to low. Stir in cheese, hot sauce, salt and pepper.
- Fold in the roasted cauliflower until well-combined.
- Pour the cauliflower mixture into a buttered baking dish. Sprinkle on the topping and bake for 15-20 minutes until bubbly. Broil for just a minute or two to crisp the top (if desired).
- Garnish with parsley and enjoy!
Follow me on Pinterest for more interesting dinner and meal time recipes!