Moist and flavorful Banana Sour Cream Bread combines ripe bananas with sour cream for an incredible twist on regular banana bread!
Banana Bread – it’s one of the most popular comfort food recipes of all time. Just the mere mention of banana bread brings back memories of my childhood when my mom used to make loaf after loaf and wrap for friends and neighbors.
In fact, of all the quick breads possible, banana bread was perhaps the most popular. It is indeed one of the most popular uses of over-ripe bananas, bringing back memories of my childhood when my mother told us “don’t you dare touch those bananas! I’ll use them for banana bread!”
Now 30-40 years later, I find myself relying on the same traditional banana bread recipe my mother used for years. If there is one thing you should never do, it’s touch the recipe for banana bread or even so much as tinker with it.
(I’m here to tell you, I broke the rules…)
Banana Sour Cream Bread
This Banana Sour Cream Bread is definitely a twist on an old-fashioned original. Do you really need sour cream in banana bread? Does it really taste any better?
I’m here to tell you that it is indeed the right choice.
If anyone ever tells that sour cream does not belong in banana bread, tell them that they are indeed wrong! Sour cream gives banana bread a rich, moist flavor that simply cannot be achieved in regular banana bread recipes.
Start with room temperature butter, and cream along with sugar, and eggs. Add in the bananas, then sour cream, vanilla extract and ground cinnamon and mix well.
Stir in the baking soda and flour just until blended. Then pour into (3) 9×5 baking pans. Place in a preheated 325 degree F oven for seventy minutes. Your loaves are done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
(You may need to adjust your baking time depending on your environment – an additional 4-5 minutes may be needed!). Are your loaves browning too quickly? If so, place a large piece of baking foil over the loaves for the last 15-20 minutes.
Looking for more banana bread recipes? Try these:
Banana Sour Cream Bread
- 3/4 C unsalted butter softened
- 3 C granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 6 bananas very ripe
- 16 oz sour cream preferably full fat
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tsp baking soda
- 4.5 C all purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease and lightly flour 3 bread pans (9x5) and set aside.
- In the bowl of your mixer, cream together the butter, sugar, and eggs until well-mixed.
- Add bananas and continue to mix at medium speed until bananas are well-blended. Add the sour cream, vanilla extract, and ground cinnamon and beat just until blended.
- Carefully stir in the baking soda and flour just until moistened.
- Divide between three baking pans.
- Place on the middle rack in preheated oven and bake for 70 minutes at 325 degrees F. Loaves are done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean (may need an additional 5 minutes).
- If the tops of the loaves are browning too quickly, place a piece of foil over the bread for the last 20 minutes of baking.
- Remove the loaves from the oven. Allow to cool before slicing/storing.
- Loaves freeze well; to freeze, wrap in saran wrap, then place in gallon freezer bag and remove the air. Loaves can be frozen for up to one month. Gradually bring to room temperature before enjoying.
Did you make this recipe? If you did, take a minute to rate the recipe and leave a comment to let me know how it turned out!