Lentils are one of the best “frugal” foods to keep in the pantry – you can use them in salads, soups, or even for imitation sloppy joes, not to mention they are wonderful for you, too!
This soup was nothing more than a mistake ~ when you have to make your husband lunch and you open the fridge to see 1/2 of an onion, 1/2 of a green bell pepper.. Yikes. What can I do with that?
At that point I enter the pantry to find a scant 3/4 C. wild rice, and just 1/2 C. of each green and red lentils. There has to be a way to make something with these items… so you give it a whirl in your Instant Pot and next thing you know, your husband tells you it’s the best Lentil Soup he has ever had.
It truly is a breeze – you could even throw in some carrots if you had some of those lingering in your crisper drawer.
- 1 C. wild rice
- 2 1/4 C. water
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1/2 bell pepper, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, diced
- 1/2 C. red lentils
- 1/2 C. green lentils
- 4 C. vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt (or to taste)
- In a medium skillet, combine wild rice and water. Bring to a boil then cover and cook for 20-25 minutes until done.
- In your Instant Pot, push saute, and add the butter, onion, garlic and pepper. Saute for 2-3 minutes or until onions are clear. Turn OFF the saute function.
- Add all of the other ingredients, and pour the vegetable broth over the top.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot, close the valve, and cook on high (manual) for 18 minutes. It will take a few minutes for the pot to come to pressure. Once it comes to pressure, the 18 minutes will count down.
- Once the pot is done (beeps), allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes, then do a quick release with the remaining pressure.
- Add the cooked wild rice, and any additional broth, depending on your preference (thick/thin).
- Add salt, taste test and add more if needed.
- Ladle into bowls.
If you don’t have an Instant Pot, you can pick one up on Amazon – it’s an amazing investment in something that will help you cook healthier, and replace all those crock pots you have in your kitchen.