A Spicy Korean BBQ Sauce that comes together in mere minutes! A delicate balance of sweet heat that’s perfect for chicken, pork and more!
Being someone that loves to cook and create in the kitchen, I’m always the recipient of odds and ends that people have at home that they may not have a use for.
Just a few days ago, I received a bag of food items from a lovely woman from church. Within the bag was a tube of Korean Spicy Chili Paste — definitely not something that I’d normally use or purchase. My eight year old was ever-so-fascinated with this tube … insisting that it be used to make a spicy BBQ sauce to then use on chicken wings.
Or pork chops.
It didn’t take me long to think about it, and when I agreed, she had already pulled out what she thought was needed to quickly pull it together.
With just a few ingredients and a blender, you can have this spicy BBQ sauce ready to go. The recipe makes a whopping two cups – enough for two pint jars. Give a jar to a friend, and enjoy one for yourself. Or better yet, eat them both yourself. The result is a really flavorful sauce that makes the most incredible wings.
Mark my words: this sauce is SO VERY DELICIOUS.
Spicy Korean BBQ Sauce
The main ingredient of this BBQ sauce is a small tube of GoChuChang paste. You can certainly find it at your Asian market; however, with the cost of fuel on the rise, it’s almost even more convenient to purchase it on Amazon in this 3-pk.
Take your half onion, ginger, garlic, and apple cider vinegar and place in your blender. Blend on high until the mixture becomes a wet paste.
Once the mixture is well combined, add your ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, molasses, paste, black pepper and salt (to taste). Blend again until all the ingredients come together, adding additional apple cider vinegar as needed.
Place the BBQ sauce in half pint canning jars and refrigerate until needed. This recipe yields 2 cups (2 half pint jars).
Can you can this recipe?
I have not tried canning this recipe so I would not recommend. The sauce is always eaten up well before the end of the week and used on pork, chicken and as a condiment to hamburgers. It’s definitely a sweet heat!
Spicy Korean BBQ Sauce
- 1/2 C apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 onion peeled and quartered
- 5 cloves garlic peeled
- 1.5 in fresh ginger peeled
- 1 C ketchup
- 4 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbsp blackstrap molasses
- 2.11 oz GoChuJang Red Chili Paste one small tube
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- In your blender, combine onion, garlic, ginger, and apple cider vinegar and process until the mixture resembles a thick paste.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and process on high, in that same blender, until all ingredients come together into a smooth sauce.
- Add additional salt & pepper as needed. You may also add additional apple cider vinegar depending on preference.
- Divide between two half pint canning jars; apply lids and bands. Keep refrigerated, and use within 14 days.
Other BBQ Sauce Recipes:
Did you make this BBQ Sauce? If you did, please take a second to rate the recipe and leave a review. I’d love to know how it turned out for you!