This natural lip shimmer recipe combines simple ingredients to make a beautiful, natural lip balm that will color and moisturize your lips.
If there is one thing I truly love doing it’s making my own cosmetic items. From tallow balm to whipped pine body butter, even DIY Lash Serum. It is so fun to create new things to try (and fall in love with) at home.
This natural lip shimmer is quite inexpensive to make at home and works perfectly to keep the lips moisturized. Using mica gives this lip shimmer a natural color for dull lips without the toxic ingredients in commercial lipsticks or lip shimmers.
Finding Natural Ingredients
Combine a few simple ingredients to make this lip shimmer. Then pour into lip balm tubes to create six tubes of luscious lip shimmer goodness. This lip shimmer applies to lips beautifully, leaving a beautiful, natural color that glides on easily.
This recipe combines 100% pastured tallow with unrefined grapeseed oil, beeswax, and a small amount of mica along with Geranium essential oil.
Can I make substitutions?
The recipe is very versatile and substitutions can be made quite easily. Substitute mango butter or shea for the tallow and sunflower seed oil or jojoba oil for the cold pressed grapeseed oil.
You’ll also want to grab some lip balm tubes and have a glass measuring cup handy. I find that a 2 C. glass Pyrex measuring cup is the easiest way to fill up your lip balm tubes.
Once you combine all of the ingredients, add the mica and mix well. Pour into lip balm tubes quickly. The lip balm mixture will harden quite fast if you allow it to sit for an extended period of time.
This recipe was enough to fill 6 tubes and one metal slider tray (which was .15 oz.) Allow an hour or so for the tubes to harden before applying the cap and using on your lips.
Natural Lip Shimmer
- 1 Tbsp 100% pastured tallow *or see alternatives in notes, below
- 1 Tbsp cold pressed grapeseed oil *or see alternatives in notes, below
- 1 Tbsp beeswax pellets
- 1/4 tsp mica powder *we used pearl red
- 10 drops essential oil
- Combine the tallow, grapeseed oil and beeswax in a glass measuring cup. Heat in the microwave on high for 20 second intervals until melted.
- Carefully remove from the microwave. Stir in the mica powder thoroughly until combined.
- If using essential oils, add at this time.
- Carefully transfer the mixture into empty lip balm containers - this needs to happen quickly before the mixture cools. Allow the lip balm tubes to cool completely before adding the cap and using on lips.
- This recipe should make 6-7 lip balm containers.
- Mango butter or shea butter can be substituted for the tallow 1:1.
- Replace the unrefined grapeseed oil with sunflower seed oil, coconut oil, jojoba oil or even rosehip oil.
- Geranium essential oil gives the lip shimmer a beautiful scent - however, Lavender essential oil would work beautifully too.
Have you ever made your own lip balm or lip gloss/lipstick before? How did it turn out?
I really love this lip balm because it gives just the right amount of color to dull lips. It also does a beautiful job of moisturizing at the same time.
If you try this DIY, rate it (above), tag us on Instagram & let us know in the comments how it worked out for you.
Leave a Reply