Did you eat Sloppy Joes often as a kid? We had them ALL the time – and I haven’t probably had one in years. In fact, my husband despises Sloppy Joes (how can you NOT like them??)
If you are looking for a meatless dinner… this is it! Not to mention, this recipe comes together FAST – especially if you have an Instant Pot. Not to mention Lentils are healthy.. and inexpensive too!
Lentils are a staple in our pantry, and there is nothing better than having ALL the ingredients for dinner in your pantry.
This recipe fed our family of 7 – obviously the two smallest didn’t eat (so that makes 5?!) – but my boys tore them up. They had NO idea Lentils were in the recipe.. they just said “mom.. give me more. But no more bread. Just the stuff IN the bread.”
(Pretty awesome – right?)
One tip: Don’t use Red Lentils, try to stay with green. Red Lentils cook much faster than green and don’t hold their shape well – so you will get lots of mush!
- 3/4 C. Green Lentils, rinsed
- 3 C. Water
- 1/2 White or Yellow Onion, minced (plus rings for the top of each)
- 3 cloves Garlic, minced
- 15 oz can Tomato Sauce
- 2 Tbsp Coconut Sugar (or to taste)
- 2 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- Sea Salt & Black Pepper (to taste)
- 1 tsp Chili Powder, or more to taste
- 1 tsp Ground Cumin, or more to taste
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika, or more to taste
- Hamburger Buns
- Onions (rings)
- In your Instant Pot, combine the lentils and water.
- Lock the lid, close the valve and cook for 15 minutes on manual (high pressure).
- Once it beeps, do a natural release for 4-5 minutes then quick release the remaining pressure.
- Drain any water and put the lentils back in.
- To the Instant Pot, add the tomato sauce, onion, garlic, coconut sugar, worcestershire sauce, chili powder, cumin, and paprika.
- Mix well, and push the saute button - don't walk away too far, you just want the mixture to heat through, then turn the saute function OFF once the mixture is hot.
- Add salt and pepper to taste... add more sugar for sweeter sloppy joes, or more worcestershire sauce for flavor.
- Serve on top of toasted hamburger buns, and garnish with slices of onion.
- These sloppy joes are best served when fresh. If you do have leftovers, place in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat filling as needed.
Checkout more recent Instant Pot Recipes HERE and again HERE.. see 10 Reasons why we invested in an Instant Pot, and find the BEST Instant Pot Accessories to have for Instant Pot Owners!
Leave a Reply