Have you ever had Colcannon? You may have had Colcannon soup… but Colcannon itself is a mixture of mashed potatoes and kale/cabbage.
It’s traditional Irish food at it’s best – a mixture of mashed potatoes with cream, kale, cabbage and green onions, topped with lots of butter. When you serve Colcannon, you put a depression in the middle of the potatoes, and add a little butter in it. Then you eat the potatoes by dipping your fork (or, spoon) in the butter and then in the mashed potatoes.
It’s a great way to get your kids to eat their greens.
You can make Colcannon in your dutch oven, but the best way to make it is in your Instant Pot. Add chives or bacon if you need some extra flavor. It’s a wonderful way to use up extra kale and cabbage into something that takes just a few minutes to make.
- 4 russet potatoes peeled and diced
- 3 Tbsp + 2 Tbsp unsalted butter divided
- 3 green onions
- 3 C. chopped kale chard, or cabbage
- 1/2 C. full fat milk or heavy cream
- salt/pepper to taste
- Push saute on the Instant Pot and add the 2 Tbsp butter and cabbage/kale/greens.
- Saute for 2-3 minutes or until wilted.
- Push OFF on the Instant Pot and dump in the potatoes, along with 1/2 C. water.
- Push high (manual) and set the timer for 4 minutes.
- At the completion of the 4 minutes, release the pressure (quick release) and lift the lid.
- Mash the potatoes with a masher right in the pot, mixing them up with the greens. Add the milk and salt/pepper and combine together until well blended.
- Serve hot in a bowl with a knob of butter (3 Tbsp) in the center.
[…] Irish Colcannon-Rebooted Mom […]