This Indian Butter Chicken uses rich, fragrant spices combined with chicken in a thick, butter sauce that’s delicious when served on rice!
I might just have to admit to you that this is one of our favorite Instant Pot recipes yet. And that’s huge, because we have made quite a lot of things in this lovely appliance.
This butter chicken is incredibly easy to make and the entire family loves it. We always make enough to have leftovers for work lunch the next day.
It isn’t too spicy but it does have some kick. It’s perfect to serve up with some brown or white rice (which can be made in the Instant Pot in advance to cut back on time!)
Indian Butter Chicken Recipe
The recipe starts with a simple combination of extra virgin olive oil and butter. Add to the Instant Pot along with 1 lb of chicken breasts, cut into 1″ cubes. Add some sliced onion in there to saute with the chicken for a brief 3-4. You want the chicken to be lightly browned and the onions clear.
Next, add your Indian Essentials Butter Chicken Seasoning Mix and a can of tomato sauce. If you don’t have tomato sauce, simply add a can of tomato paste and 1 1/2 cans of water. Place the lid on the Instant Pot, close the valve and set the timer for 8 minutes at high pressure.
Once the chicken is done, release the pressure and stir in 1/2 C. of light or heavy cream. We simply used the heavy cream off the top of our gallon of raw milk and it worked super!
Indian Butter Chicken Seasoning Mix is simply a spice combination of turmeric, red pepper, paprika, salt, onion, garlic and a tiny bit of sugar ground into a fine powder.
If you are without that spice, feel free to use a combination of onion, garlic, paprika, red pepper and turmeric and add in just a tiny bit of salt to taste.
Bookmark over 100 Deliciously Yummy Instant Pot recipes that you can make in your Instant Pot!
Indian Butter Chicken (Instant Pot or Stovetop)
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 medium onion finely sliced
- 1 lb chicken breasts cut into 1" cubes
- 2 Tbsp butter chicken seasoning mix
- 1 can tomato sauce* see alternative
- 1/2 C. heavy or light cream
- white or brown rice for serving
- Heat the oil and butter in your Instant Pot (or, skillet) and add the chicken and sliced onion - saute for 3-4 minutes or until chicken is lightly browned and onions are clear.
- Pour in the tomato sauce and butter seasoning mix and give it a quick stir. If you are without tomato sauce, simply add a can of tomato paste and 1 1/2 cans of water (using the same tomato paste can).
- Lock the Instant Pot lid and close the valve; set the timer for manual (high pressure) for 8 minutes. (The pot will take additional time to come to pressure).
- Once the pot beeps done, release the pressure and add in 1/2 C. heavy or light cream - we used the heavy cream on the top of our raw milk (yay for healthy fat!)
- Serve over rice. Refrigerate leftovers and consume within 3 days.
!For stovetop, brown chicken and onion in a skillet until browned. Then combine additional ingredients and simmer for 15 minutes on stovetop until complete.