Fresh Basil Pesto is so wonderful to make ~ if you are so fortunate to be able to pick up a bag of fresh basil at your farmers market like we are every week, put it to great use to whip up this easy Pesto.
It’s so hard not to want to eat Pesto by the spoonful – combine with pine nuts, parmesan and olive oil and you have a spread that can be used on fruit, veggies, sandwiches, and even stirred into pasta.
- 1/3 C. pine nuts
- 1/2 C. grated parmesan cheese
- 3-4 garlic cloves
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 C. extra virgin olive oil
- 3 C. gently packed fresh basil
- Combine everything in your food processor.
- Beat continuously until all of the ingredients are combined... scraping down the sides of the bowl until a uniform paste has formed.
- Taste and adjust as needed - salt, garlic, nuts or cheese.
- Store in an 8 oz jar in the refrigerator - pesto darkens fast, so it's best to use it quickly. Press out the pesto to eliminate air pockets, and pour a little olive oil over the top.
- Refrigerate for up to a week or you can opt to freeze for several months.