A smoky, savory Homemade Bacon Salt that’s delicious on baked potatoes, tossed on popcorn, or your favorite soup – easily made in less than an hour!
When you think of bacon, the last thing that probably comes to mind is bacon salt. After all… how in the world would bacon ever make it to salt? It would be gone well before it was ever a thought.
It was a few weeks ago that bacon salt came flashing across my computer screen – I’m not sure what prompted it. Perhaps Facebook knew I was craving a really big plate of salty bacon.
Perhaps I was just hungry. …who knows – I’m still not quite sure. All that I knew was that I wanted to give it a shot and I ran out to get a really good, high quality bacon.
If you do a google search for “Bacon Salt”, you will find that it’s quite the popular item on Etsy.
Most shops sell bacon salt for right near $8-$10… it’s merely soy bacon flakes with salt. In some cases there are other spices added to amp up the flavor. In any case, there really wasn’t too much guidance on bacon salt made with real bacon.
How to Make Bacon Salt
Making bacon salt is as easy as cooking your favorite type of bacon, and then tossing in the food processor until it’s minced to bits. Then mixing in salt and any other favorite whatnots.
This salt takes just three simple ingredients and less than an hour to make. Grab your favorite pack of bacon from the store and cook it in the oven at 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until crispy. I threw a baking pan over a cookie sheet so keep the bacon elevated from the fat – it browned perfectly. After letting it cool, I gave it a quick whizz in the food processor. Then, I added my favorite kosher salt and pepper.
Because bacon is already a bit salty, I kept the salt at a minimum. Then, I added a smidge of black pepper at the end. You could also take it up a notch with a bit of cayenne, too.
The end result was a smoky, savory bacon salt that I wanted to simply
sprinkle dump on everything.
How to Use Bacon Salt
Once you have your bacon salt, you’ll want to use it on everything…
- Sprinkle it on your favorite ice cream
- Toss it into your popcorn
- Sprinkle atop your scrambled eggs
- Garnish the rim of your Bloody Mary
- As a topping for your baked potatoes
- Or use as an extra seasoning for your steak when grilling out
There are so many options – it really does make a unique gift for the bacon lover! Bacon salt deserves to be in everyone’s kitchen. It makes a wonderful gift for a new neighbor, a gift at the holidays or as part of a larger gift basket for the person who is hard to buy for.
Split the bacon salt into decorative glass jars, attach a gift tag and share with your loved ones. Bacon salt will keep for up to three weeks when properly refrigerated (but will definitely be long gone before then!)
Homemade Bacon Salt
- 16 oz bacon
- 1/2 C coarse kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F.
- Lay out the bacon pieces on a cookie sheet placed over another lined cookie sheet (this elevates it and allows the fat to drain easier).
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until crisp. Drain the bacon with paper towels, allow to cool completely before moving on to the next step.
- Put the bacon in the food processor and whizz until it's in fine pieces. Mix with salt and pepper.
- Store the bacon in a tightly covered jar in the refrigerator. It will keep for up to 3 weeks (if it even lasts that long).
If you loved this bacon salt recipe, I would be so appreciative if you gave the recipe a review. Make sure you snap a pic of your bacon salt and tag me on Instagram … and use the tag #RebootedMom or tag me in your post at @RebootedMom.