Have some extra Grapefruit at home? If you do, here’s a great way to use the juice to make some amazingly moist and delicious grapefruit bread with a light grapefruit glaze.
You’ll want to hold back at least a half or a full size grapefruit and squeeze out the juice – you’ll use it for both the bread and the glaze. It’s not your typical bread – it’s more like a pound cake, but we cut back the sugar from the original recipe (which was over a cup) to just 1/2 cup.
We really felt like 1/2 cup of sugar was fine – not too sweet, in fact, the glaze gives it the perfect sweetness without overloading the bread with additional sugar.
We also added some extra zing to the bread by using our Grapefruit Vitality Essential Oil (from Young Living) — just a few drops in the batter AND in the glaze made it extra flavorful.
The bread keeps amazingly well and would be such a great treat for a neighbor or to share with friends.
- 1 C. Greek Yogurt
- 1/2 C. Sugar
- 3 Eggs
- 1/3 C. Grapefruit Juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 C. Butter, softened
- 5 drops Grapefruit Vitality Essential Oil (Young Living is what we recommend)
- 2 C. All Purpose, Organic Unbleached Flour
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 Tbsp Grapefruit Zest
- 1 C. Powdered Sugar
- 2 drops Grapefruit Vitality Essential Oil
- 2 Tbsp Grapefruit Juice, freshly squeezed
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease and lightly flour a 9x5 bread pan; set aside.
- Combine the yogurt sugar, eggs, vanilla, butter, grapefruit juice and essential oil and mix well in your KitchenAid.
- Add in the flour, baking powder, salt and grapefruit zest and mix just until moistened.
- Pour into a 9x5 loaf pan and bake for 45 minutes or until lightly browned... your time may vary and you may need to have in the oven as long as 50-55 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool 20-25 minutes.
- In the meantime, whip together the glaze ingredients - when the bread is cool, spread the glaze atop and slice to serve.
Young Living has a Vitality Line of Oils that is great for baking and cooking – and Grapefruit Vitality is one of our favorites for recipes like this. Find out more about Young Living by heading HERE.